Which ones are not laying?

ray2310

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Smithfield, PA
How can I determine which hens are not laying eggs? We have 18 Red Sex links. Last summer 15-17 eggs each day. This summer 6-9 per day. We have some younger hens that should start laying soon. Our plan is to cull our older hens. So how do I determine which hens are not laying?

Thanks,

Ray

Some people say put a bit of food color on/barely in their vents and matching color on head...or they have the numbered bands on their legs that correspond to a certain color. In theory when they lay a bit of color would come out onto the egg. I don't see how you could do that considering you have 18 birds
hu.gif
If it doesn't work...at least you would have a rainbow of poop piles!
gig.gif

you could use a nest trap and then mark/band the ones that come in and actually lay an egg. Just remember to remove the egg before resetting your trap!
tongue.png

Just look at their combs and vents. Their combs should be a bright clear red if they are laying. If they aren't, it will be a pale pink. Their vents should be big and pink and moist looking. If they aren't laying, then it will just look like a regular chicken butt!
tongue.png

Shelly

If I have doubts I keep one hen at a time in the coop until she does or does not lay, then ring her leg. Usually mine have laid by 10:00 a.m,

Sandie

Back
Top Bottom