10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Glendale, AZ
Ok currently i have 1 of each:

-BO
-BR
-Ameraucana
-RIR

Now heres the question im planning on eventually getting all of these but can only go 3 at a time (keep neighbors from going on strike
tongue.png
)

Heres the list and im just asking what shoudl i go for first ??

- SLW
- Australorp
- BCM
- White Silkie
- Barnevelder
- Speckled Sussex
- (maybe a leghorn eventually)
- ALSO TAKING SOME SUGGESTIONS
*Need to be nice
*Decent # of eggs
*Some other unique quality (egg color, plumage, etc.)

Thnx in advance

Max is 12 chickens in my area (all must be hens
sad.png
)

Last edited:
Also if anyone in Arizona (Phoenix metro area) is selling these (eggs or chicks)?? that would be great
big_smile.png
... i only need 1 of each
tongue.png

Last edited:
My Pet Chicken will let you do small orders and there are a couple of feedstores in the Valley (Pratt's and one in Mesa that I disremember the name of) that have chicks.

Well, from your list cross out BCM has you have to buy from a breeder and they are expensive. Also Barnevelders for they are too rare and only one hatchery handles them, again you must get from a breeder.

Your best bet will be the SLW, SS and the Autrolope. All easy to get hold of and you might find someone local selling them.

I say go for the BCM anyway, love their eggs. Or go with a cuckoo marans, dark but not darkest eggs, good layers, but you might not want two barred-looking hens. And you need to have a cochin in that mix, they come in all different colors. I only have had one bantam, but she laid fair and was a nice hen, really unique shape.

Thanx for the help everyone
big_smile.png
.. i know the silkie wont be a decent egg layer but i just can't resist a ball of fluff
tongue.png

I also understand the barnevelder and BCM will be difficult to find and probably quite expensive .. but i still think i want them
big_smile.png

... ANY other thoughts...... ???

The feedlot at 19th Ave & Deer Valley currently has some barnevelder, leghorn, & australorp chicks for sale.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/grd/1186827960.html
If you're ready to buy right now and want to stick to your list, those could be your next 3 chickens.

Azcknldy (35th & Deer Valley) has some leghorns (and other chicks) for sale:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/grd/1184806357.html

I live in Glendale and am attempting to hatch some australorp eggs under my broody, but they won't be ready to leave for another 2 months (it will take that long before I know whether they are roos or pullets).

The Stock Shop in Glendale has leghorns and when I was there today, they told me they had silkies (I'm not experienced with silkies, but the chicks they were referring to were white). If you do get a silkie chick, it will not be sexed and could end up being a rooster.

Pratt's has two locations (Glendale & Surprise)- you might call them and check their selection.

We have 2 barnevelder hens (purchased as chicks from the feedlot last fall). They don't lay as many eggs as our other chickens. They lay 3-4 eggs a week, while the others lay almost every single day. The eggs are pretty and darker than the BR, RIR, & BSL chickens, but not dark like a welsummer (the 2 darkest eggs on the bottom row of my avatar are from my 2 barnies). These two also went broody - none of our other 5 breeds of chickens have (that can either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what you want).

When you are getting your new chicks to add to your current flock, you might try to make sure the chicks are all close to the same age. It will be hard integrating them all, if you have a 2 week old chick, 6 week old, 9 weeks, etc.

I was going to say that you should add brahma, araucana & faverolles to your list.

If you are interested in pet quality chicks, I have some sizzles and polishXsilkies that I don't plan to keep. Maybe some pet quality silkies as well.

Back
Top Bottom