Which really rare or unusual chicken breeds make the most money?

RavenWings

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
Wisconsin
Hey everyone, me and my father have been looking for awesome birds that make a lot of money (for a chicken, lol). Besides the fact that we love hobby farming, my undying love and huge interest for rare and exotic poultry, we also want to know what really rare chicken breeds make a lot of money when you sell them. I'd like to know what breeds have made the most money throughout your farming career, and what chicken breeds you recommend that we get for breeding and selling so we can make a decent profit while enjoying our hobby raising various types of birds. I have a long list of birds that I want to buy, and i'd like some more recommendations to add to my list. We're rebuilding a new and better chicken coop this spring, and we're getting started on buying the more exotic poultry. Sometime soon I will post another thread asking if you have any breeds that I want, so I can add you to my follow list and contacts (for when i'd like to purchase some birds from you via 2-day expedited shipping or at your farm if you live in Wisconsin, Iowa, or Minnesota). I know that Easter-eggers and Marans make a heap of money around here at this one animal auction, but i'm particularly interested in really rare chicken breeds. Please also tell me what color variations of the particular breed make the most money, thanks.

Quote:
hey How about Mixing them and make a better profit? They are Called Olive Eggers and they lay a very Nice and elegant color called Olive, They are very Rare as Hatcheries have not Caught up to them yet, you could sell the F1s(EE x Maran) as Olive Eggers and show People how nice the eggs are, or you could sell Marans that produce even Darker Olive eggs with brown specs if you cross the F1s back to Marans, if you are interested I can lay out a nice breeding plan for you

You're a genius! I was actually going to make a thread asking about how to create Olive Eggers. I've always wanted some without wasting my money on them (we know how overpriced they are online). I would love a breeding plan, and many Maran variations are on my list of chicken breeds I want. BTW, what is a F1? I've heard the term before.

Quote:
on no problem I always help around this forums, I am Geneticist aficionado .. F1s are the result from crossing two lines of chickens.. you can use any and all type of Marans you can get your hands on and also I would prefer you would use EE pullets known to have laid blue/green eggs,

Sounds great! But it will take a lot of time. I was wondering about other really rare chicken breeds that make great money for a chicken. Here's my list so far

Marraduna Basque
Madagascar-Game/Ga-Noi/Malgache
Cuckoo Scots Dumpy
Saipan Jungle Fowl
Derbyshire Redcap
Icelandic
Black La Fleche
White La Fleche
Tomaru Longcrower
Kosovo Longcrower
Denzili Longcrower
White Faced Black Spanish
Tolbunt Polish
Cream Brabanter
Gold Brabanter
White Houdan
Silver Penciled Rocks
Lavender Orpington
Blue Partridge Brahma
Mahogany Faverolle
Black Penedesenca
Partridge Penedesenca
White Empordanesa
Marans (Golden Cuckoo, Blue Copper, Blue Wheaten, Blue Splash, Birchen, Black, Black-tailed buff, Partridge/Golden-Salmon, Wheaten, and White)

Do you have any of them or know anyone who does?

So you think you will be making a lot of money off chickens. Well, poultry fads come and go. What is popular this year may be non-existent the next.

Do you plan to sell these birds locally or nationally? What is your plan for the flocks? If they are an APA breed will you show?

So you think you will be making a lot of money off chickens. Well, poultry fads come and go. What is popular this year may be non-existent the next.

Do you plan to sell these birds locally or nationally? What is your plan for the flocks? If they are an APA breed will you show?
Actually, no. That's a load of bogus. We usually have to spend more than we get on birds. But... my dad lets me keep all of the profits. So that means it would become my own money and I have the say on what to do with it. I usually just put it towards buying more rare and uncommon birds or some equipment. I also actually have a fun time cleaning out the coops and working on new structures. And no, i'm not some little inexperienced kid (not assuming you think that, just letting you know). I've been raising chickens and birds since I was 7. We're selling the birds locally and at animal swaps or auctions, but may also sell hatching eggs online as well. I mainly want these breeds because of how dang cool they are, and because they actually have monetary value to them.

Last edited:
A good way to start is with the endangered breeds (but make sure they are the good quality not hatchery).
Sounds great! But it will take a lot of time. I was wondering about other really rare chicken breeds that make great money for a chicken. Here's my list so far

Marraduna Basque
Madagascar-Game/Ga-Noi/Malgache
Cuckoo Scots Dumpy
Saipan Jungle Fowl
Derbyshire Redcap
Icelandic
Black La Fleche
White La Fleche
Tomaru Longcrower
Kosovo Longcrower
Denzili Longcrower
White Faced Black Spanish
Tolbunt Polish
Cream Brabanter
Gold Brabanter
White Houdan
Silver Penciled Rocks
Lavender Orpington
Blue Partridge Brahma
Mahogany Faverolle
Black Penedesenca
Partridge Penedesenca
White Empordanesa
Marans (Golden Cuckoo, Blue Copper, Blue Wheaten, Blue Splash, Birchen, Black, Black-tailed buff, Partridge/Golden-Salmon, Wheaten, and White)

Do you have any of them or know anyone who does?
some of these are endangered so that's a good start. I would recommend you start with at most 3 breeds so you won't be overwhelmed when you're trying to perfect them through breeding. plus feeding them is expensive, I have salmon faverolles (never heard of mahogany) and i recently sold 2 chicks for $10 ea. because i needed money for feed for my other chicks. (told you it get's expensive lol)

3 breeds i would recommend from that list

white faced black spanish (trying to get some myself)
Any type of maran (birchens seem rare)
lavender orpington (not only are they beautiful and rare but good egg layers)

Back
Top Bottom