Which rooster is nicer - Delaware or Cuckoo Maran?

Chicken Lass

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a new rooster for my flock of hens. I want one with a nice temperment, and I saw an ad in the local paper for Cuckoo Marans and Delawares. I have a Delaware and three Cuckoo Marans already. Which rooster is better temperment wise - a Delaware or Cuckoo Maran?
Thanks - my last roo was a bantam who was very sweet and lived to be 13 yrs.

It's not a breed thing so much as it's individual. I have a sweet-as-pie Delaware rooster, but I have culled one for becoming human aggressive when he reached mating age. I've had sweet Barred Rock roosters, too, but some folks think they're aggressive. Just depends on the genetics and the luck of the draw.

Depends upon the genetic make up of the roostr and to some degree the mannr in which he was raised. "Pet" roosters can be among the most human aggressive since no clear boundaries have been set between them and us. Ask, and hopefully the parties selling the roosters will be honest.

I have had 2 Cuckoo Marans Cocks and they have both proved to be jerks, but this is due to their Mother so I have been told by saladin.
The hen can be soo sweet but still lay eggs producing aggresive Cockerals.
I have also had a few that were the biggest sweetest babies, from an emtirely different mother.
It is true that in this case it is the individual bird, not the breed, that will determine the agressiveness of the cockerals.

Thanks you all! I'm still trying to decide if I really want a rooster or not - most of my hens were hand raised and follow me all over the place, and I'm afraid that will change if they have a rooster. I like roosters though, so I'm still thinking...

Back
Top Bottom