Which rooster should we keep?

Multiple roosters often lead to big problems, but sometimes they don't. If so have a plan B set up and ready to go.
Oh yeah I’m sure they can cause problems. We’ll have 12 girls, but I think that’s only enough for 1 roo....I may just see which one is easier to rehome 😬

It's not how many girls, it's how the males behave......and usually they don't like to share.
That’s a good point! Our BCM is only about a year old, so I’m sure he’s still feisty. He’s never even looked at me or my husband the wrong way, though. Very respectful of our space and the ladies. The only issue is the feather loss. I assumed it was because he’s probably about 8lbs and the hens are only about 5.5lbs. 🙄

I have big roosters and hens of all sizes, and no issues generally. Molting birds look rough sometimes, true. and we have had hens with poor feather quality, who needed to move to a flock with no roosters.
Cockerels or adult roosters who injure anyone don't get to stay here! No human aggression, or abuse towards flockmates allowed.
Mary

I came home on my lunch break today, and the little fluffball had been bullied/attacked. He has a tear on the back of his neck and some missing feathers.

I cleaned him up and covered it with blu-kote. I didn’t have a place to separate him, so he’s bunking in our large brooder box with our broody hen. She’s in the nest box in the brooder, and doesn’t seem bothered. He was very shaken up and kind of lethargic. I’m hoping he’ll feel better when my husband gets home in a few hours. 🥺😩😩😩

If all else fails, place a mask (diaper) on his rear, and bring him into the house. First, you'll probably want to make certain his feet is clean, because some chickens LOVE coaches! You just can't keep them off! :lol:

I had planned on having the brooder box be a hospital/time out area, but then our hen went broody and needed separated too.
If I hadn’t had to rush back to work, I’d have brought him with me to TSC to get a crate lol

I plan to bring him in this evening. 😩

I just feel so bad for him! I had the big chickens separated from the littles(10 weeks old) entirely, but thought they had done their introductions through the wire mesh separating them for 2 weeks. They were totally fine all weekend. But todayyyyy 😩

Back
Top Bottom