Which serama should I show? (Photos)

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
If someone could take a look at my birds and see which I should put into show, I’d appreciate it. I’ve never showed before but I’m excited to try my hand on October 22nd’s serama show!

My Males:

1 Splash (alpha)
0DFD5A36-3A8C-44CF-8C04-C888BF2F4701.jpeg

1 Blue/Grey/Silver solid (beta)
84B466A4-0E17-4B47-BBD2-E5457A00D174.jpeg

My Females:

1 pattern I can’t describe
C430C633-E237-4623-B2B1-4382F0BF0DEE.jpeg

7DDE9F98-23B6-4075-ADD7-082A5A7C992D.jpeg

1 solid black

5A566E5E-3244-4945-878F-68077D4A6806.jpeg

2 black and white frizzles
CD534353-9175-4376-A184-94F5B4E34279.jpeg

98DB8A4A-FAEA-450A-8A80-CEA727FAE5D5.jpeg

1 Class A frizzle feathered solid black
2E0CCF91-9342-4E32-B701-03A3D52971C3.jpeg

00D1FB43-E353-49FA-B100-9FDE570FF619.jpeg

I saw you were looking to rehome the little black one. I'd take her in a heartbeat if I lived closer.
Well I’m headed to North Carolina for Thanksgiving. Me and my family drive through South Carolina to get up there. If you’re comfortable with it I can arrange to swing by your area to bring her in November. Let me know if you want to and we can keep each other up to date!
I’m a 5”2 twenty one year old woman so you don’t have to worry about me lol

Well I’m headed to North Carolina for Thanksgiving. Me and my family drive through South Carolina to get up there. If you’re comfortable with it I can arrange to swing by your area to bring her in November. Let me know if you want to and we can keep each other up to date!
I’m a 5”2 twenty one year old woman so you don’t have to worry about me lol
Very tempting, but it's okay. I need to hold off on more chickens since we will be moving soon.

If someone could take a look at my birds and see which I should put into show, I’d appreciate it. I’ve never showed before but I’m excited to try my hand on October 22nd’s serama show!

My Males:

1 Splash (alpha)
View attachment 3272888
1 Blue/Grey/Silver solid (beta)
View attachment 3272892

My Females:

1 pattern I can’t describe
View attachment 3272886
View attachment 3272895
1 solid black

View attachment 3272878
2 black and white frizzles
View attachment 3272884
View attachment 3272885
1 Class A frizzle feathered solid black
View attachment 3272883
View attachment 3272882
1: actually mille fleur, not splash
2: blue (with leakage)
3: like many seramas, she has mixed colors, so can’t be easily described
4: blue (with really good lacing!), not black
5-6: black mottled frizzles
7: silkied, not frizzled

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight! I have no excuse for the Silkie feathered being typed up and frizzle, my brain must’ve shut off and retyped the previous. Regarding the third one, the hard to describe pattern, would you recommend her for show? Or is it like dog shows where only a few standard patterns can apply?

Thanks for the insight! I have no excuse for the Silkie feathered being typed up and frizzle, my brain must’ve shut off and retyped the previous. Regarding the third one, the hard to describe pattern, would you recommend her for show? Or is it like dog shows where only a few standard patterns can apply?
Seramas don't have a color/pattern standard because they come in so many. They may look for any color leakage or breaks in the pattern but the color only plays a small role.

This user explains what the judges look for better then I can.
Now to the score card:

Type: This is the color. Does your bird have nice color for what you registered it as? If it is a black, then their should be no leakage. If it a pumpkin, does it have a brown body, black main tail and a orange neck with no added colors?

Chest: This is where the serama has to show off the classic 'apple' chest. The rooster/hen/pullet/cockerel has to throw their head back far and pouf out their chest like they are the biggest, meanest thing in the entire town! The more chest their is, the higher the points!

Tail: This is where the judge judges how the tail is formed. The tail can not be tilted and have to be straight up and down with the body. The feathers have to be full with two sickle feathers that stick straight up in the air. The tail also has to be at a 90 degree angle and not pinched. Pinched is where the feathers are together and not separated in a V shape form when looking at the tail above.

Wings: Seramas have specific ways they have to hold their wings depending on what they are. The dragon serama usually have to have their wings set a little past their legs almost like they are trying to stick their wings straight out in front of them but are unable to because of their anatomy. Traditional seramas have to have their wings straight down, covering the legs from people's eyes when they are being looked at by the side view. The entire body has to make a V shape in Traditional seramas.

Legs: Serama legs have to be orange/yellow but it tends to fluctuate with what color the bird is. Right now, Black seramas are okay to have black legs or black legs with orange pads. So this is judged on how the judge believes how a serama should look like.

Appearance: Your serama should not have a rough appearance. If the serama is smooth, it should not have curls in the feathers or broken feathers/bald spots. Frizzles should not have bald spots and must have curls on each feather as well as wings with curled feathers (as sometimes they have no feathers in wings). Silkied seramas must not have any bald spots either.

Character: This is how the body is formed overall and the judge looks for anything off, like a long back or too short of shanks.

Performance: Your bird should be on his table and showing off how he/she is the most prettiest one of them all. They should be flapping their wings, crowing, strutting around, communicating, scratching, doing anything to catch the judges eye without flying at the judge (One of my hens spooked when the judge came up behind her and she did just that. First time she jumped off, and didn't do it again so she was not DQ). You have two strikes if your bird jumps off the table, the second (last) one is where the judge asks you politely to put your bird away. If your bird flies on another bird's table and attempts to attack the other's bird, it is an automatic DQ.

Back
Top Bottom