Which would fit me the best.

Have you checked out the Duck Forum stickies? Perhaps you could read a few things there and ask for more information on the things you learned from the stickies we have compiled.

I must warn you. Ducks steal hearts. Happens all the time. I have runners and buffs, and just love'em to pieces. They lay well, and have no end of personality. And, of course, I believe they are most beautiful creatures.
love.gif

my runners are my newest add. i love them the most, very good layers as well ( mine have stopped due to winter but they are only 7 months old) people say they are skidish mine don't seem to be, they are very alert though. once u have one set u will have more lol i'm going to be incubating 40 eggs this year
woot.gif

Well what do they eat and do they need a heater in there brooder. I might sound crazy asking everything in the world but i am just making sure i take proper care of them and from a every day owner.

Well what do they eat and do they need a heater in there brooder. I might sound crazy asking everything in the world but i am just making sure i take proper care of them and from a every day owner.
i gave mine flock starter untill the 50 lb bag was gone then slowly started mixing the flock starter then i mixed oats, rolled corn, wheat, milo, gave them that as adults. many ppl use different things as far as food goes, when ducklings are babies they need a draft free room with a brooder light (heat lamp) it needs to be big enough for them to get away if they get hot but stay close enough to keep warm untill they are flleather out. they can not produce heat by them selves and since their momma ain't there u have to play that role.
celebrate.gif
they are so much fun but messy little guys

i would do alot of reading about how to care for them and relize they are not clean animals and will make a very big mess with water, thats their faviorite game to play :)

Last edited:
Ducklings need three times the niacin chicks do, so a duck or waterfowl starter is what I prefer. If you can only get chick starter, I would get unmedicated, and add a sprinkling of brewer's yeast to their food. This will help avoid leg and nervous system problems in sensitive ducklings.

The rule of thumb is 90F the first week, dropping five degrees a week till the outside temperatures are at the level the ducks can tolerate. Once they are fully feathered, temperatures are less of a concern. But at 70F or above, outdoors, they should have shade available.

I find having a thermometer in the brooder helps me know what is going on. There should be room to move away from the heat in the brooder, since some ducklings need a little less heat than others.

Water management is key. Please look at the archives and stickies and read up on the importance of proper waterers. You will avoid much heartache if you get this right from the gitgo. tweetysvoice and 70%cocoa have nice examples.

Back
Top Bottom