White Ameraucana's ? or bad breeder?

wow, looks like it is mayba a wheaten cross??
hu.gif
great leg color though...

Definitely a wheaten bird. My own flock has a wheaten bird or two, in with a bunch of whites. When I advertise, I call them 'light' not white. lol Since white is an ongoing process and other colors can crop-out, like black birds can throw a white colored bird, if you're looking for true whites(which can still crop out another color from time to time), look to breeders who's white throw mainly white colored birds and stay away from those who are still throwing lots of cull birds(whatever it is you don't want) as it can put your own breeding program behind. It takes time to perfect a flock to be what the breeder wants to call his own bred bird. The only reason I've got some whitish birds with a bit of wheaten like what you're showing in your picture is that I'm established my own flock with an old bloodline I had awhile back and now I'm slowly bringing it back to an all white flock, so it's going to take some time for me, but I certainly don't advertise my floc as being pure white. Free ranging is bad news when you want to keep colors pure.

When you're talking 3 or 4, is that out of a dozen or a 100 birds? If out of a dozen, get rid of her whole works, as it'll set your program back, but if it's out of a hundred, just get rid of the wheatens.

KimmersMN

Last edited:
It's just red leakage on poor quality bird; more than likely no wheaten genes. It could even be dominant white.

When I first joined BYC I warned everyone about this person because she was at that time mixing her colors and I caught heck for it.

Last edited:
pipsandpeeps,
Can you email me and let me know who the breeder is? I want to stay far away from them. Also, are your whites still laying well? In about a week or so I'd like to get 2 dozen eggs from you. I have to wait `til I get paid again, lol.

buffalogal,
Can you also email me with your prices on your S.C Ancona's. Are their legs straight yellow or speckled with black ...and do you ship chicks? I couldn't find that info. on your sites. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom