White bump on beak?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Slowerpoke, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Slowerpoke

Slowerpoke Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2014
    Boulder City, NV
    Out of 9 chicks more than half started to develop this white spot on their beaks, in between their nostrils, at 3 months. They're silkie/orphington mixes so I don't know if this is a breed thing. My first thought was that it was an infection or disease but Google has shown things way more serious than this really is! If anything the spot is just a miscolor on their beak; no tumor or anything. They don't seem sick, or even respond to the spot being there, but considering multiple chickens have it I don't want it to end up being something serious!

I do NOT have clear photos of it but I do have: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/352/f/d/chickens_by_bolthamos-d8acr5v.png
    which includes the early stages of the spot and a bad photo of the spot now. (its all white; no green/yellow tint like in the picture)

Is this anything to worry about?

2. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    No, i am sure it isnt anything to worry about!!! Some of my hens have those on their beaks too and they have had it for like 2 years!!!

3. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    Oh...and welcome to BYC!!!

4. Slowerpoke

Sep 16, 2014
    Boulder City, NV
    What a relief, thank you!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would check your feeders and waterers for any sharp edges where there could be an injury. Many people see those white bumps on beaks, and some think they are injuries, while others believe they are a virus. Many of the bumps fall off or go away. Look at this thread and you can see other pictures in link #2: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/859279/wound-on-beak

6. Slowerpoke

Sep 16, 2014
    Boulder City, NV
    Oh wow that looks a lot like what they have! The only problem is that it's nothing as bulgy as a wart, so there's really nothing to fall off. Hopefully it's a "it'll go away" case haha. I'll inspect their coop, maybe it's an infected scratch? Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by