White Cornish... Who sells them?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by the_great_snag, Apr 26, 2009.

1. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    This is being discussed in another thread, but I thought it deserved a thread of its own...

I know there is a white variant of the Cornish breed. None of the hatcheries seem to sell them though, other than the bantam variety that McMurray offers.

It seems as though a White Cornish would be an excellent alternative meat bird for those who would rather avoid the complexities of raising Cornish X Rocks.

Does anyone know more about the White Cornish, where one might buy some, and why they are not common???

My copy of "Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds" shows a White Cornish hen and rooster in their section devoted to the Cornish breed.

2. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    bump up to the top, I have the same thoughts.?

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Goodluck getting ahold of any good ones. The breeders of these are a close nitch bunch and don't part with their stock very easily. If you can find a breeder willing to sell you some, the only thing available will likely be young adult stock and will be expensive.

4. rockin p ranch

rockin p ranch New Egg

Dec 9, 2010
  5. kfacres

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:that's what I figured.

Quote:no I'm in the market for the parent stock to make that cross, kind of, in my own little world breeding pen, not the industrial type.

6. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    If you find some. let me know. That would be an awesome thing to get in too!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicken Girl

7. kfacres

Jul 14, 2011
    What does anybody know about finding a source for the other colors of Standard Cornish, as I suspect the only difference would be color? There is a good chance that every cockeral we'll butcher will be skinned, so skin color, and eye appeal is irrelevant.

I'm talking about the super thick breasted type birds, not the eye laying type. I'm wanting a stud to use on my normal dual purpose brown and green layers, for a butchering type bird with added hybrid vigor and meat. I would imagine that I'd invest in a pair of hens, to try out and see what would happen...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by