White Crested Black Polish Question

Anyone know what kind of breed she is? A pure polish? A polish cross?
FE0FD918-3DC2-4FE9-81AE-D0283B38F2FE.jpeg
7C183D85-78F9-47BE-B736-75AD60410265.jpeg

I don't really know why, but she just show up on my front yard 2 days ago. I did caught her and she doesn't belong to any of my neighbors either, so I end up keeping her. By the looks, she still really young.

I am about to get too technical here:

Mottling has been linked to Endothelin Receptor B2 (EDNRB2)

mo^w/mo^w = The most extreme of recessive mottling mutations, a solid white bird: Cys244Phe amino acid substitution in EDNRB2( the researchers have given the mutation the m^w/m^w for White)

mo^j/m^j = Japanese mottling mutation( Found in Mottled Japanese breeds): Arg332His amino acid substitution in EDNRB2(no official designation has been given to the mutation so I propose mo^j/mo^j for Japanese mottling where it was first found)

mo/mo = recessive Mottling(breeds sequenced: Houdan, Speckled Sussex, Spangled OEG): Ala228Thr amino acid substitution in EDNRB2

mo^d/mo^d = For Millefleur d'Uccle(no official designation has been given to the mutation so I propose mo^d/mo^d for d'Uccle)

mo^wc/mo^wd = For White Crest Dilution (no official designation has been given to the mutation so I propose mo^wc/mo^wc for white crest)

But, interestingly enough Millefleur d'Uccle didn't have Ala228Thr mutation, nor Arg332His, so further research needed to find the mo d'Uccle causal mutation. This difficult to do as the EDNRB2 gene is very polymorphic

Further research needs to be done on Millefleur d'Uccle because they are obviously mottled(Even if the research team says: Parallel evolution could be the explanation because considering that Mottled Houdan and Japanese mottled chickens have different causal mutations for mo, it is possible that Mille Fleur has a different causal mutation (probably not in the coding region of EDNRB2) for mottling)

Test mating of White Crested Polish with a mottled breed(Houdan perhaps or Tolbunt Polish) will help us greatly in identifying the mutation.

Research work: Gene Mapping of Morphological Traits in Chickens(scroll down to mottling) https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/bitstream/handle/10919/85397/Li_J_D_2017.pdf

Exchequer Japanese chicks:

Jap%20Babies.jpg

Japanese Exchequer rooster:
74f34f4c749e8751e478e1129fb2c8c9.jpg

Last edited:
I am about to get too technical here:

Mottling has been linked to Endothelin Receptor B2 (EDNRB2)

mo^w/mo^w = The most extreme of recessive mottling mutations, a solid white bird: Cys244Phe amino acid substitution in EDNRB2( the researchers have given the mutation the m^w/m^w for White)

mo^e/m^e = Exchequer Pattern(Exchequer Japanese sequenced, not exchequer leghorns): Arg332His amino acid substitution in EDNRB2(no official designation has been given to the mutation so I propose mo^e/mo^e for exchequer)

mo/mo = recessive Mottling(breeds sequenced: Houdan, Speckled Sussex, Spangled OEG): Ala228Thr amino acid substitution in EDNRB2

mo^d/mo^d = For Millefleur d'Uccle(no official designation has been given to the mutation so I propose mo^d/mo^d for d'Uccle)

mo^wc/mo^wd = For White Crest Dilution (no official designation has been given to the mutation so I propose mo^wc/mo^wc for white crest)

But, interestingly enough Millefleur d'Uccle didn't have Ala228Thr mutation, nor Arg332His, so further research needed to find the mo d'Uccle causal mutation. This difficult to do as the EDNRB2 gene is very polymorphic

Further research needs to be done on Millefleur d'Uccle because they are obviously mottled(Even if the research team says: Parallel evolution could be the explanation because considering that Mottled Houdan and Japanese mottled chickens have different causal mutations for mo, it is possible that Mille Fleur has a different causal mutation (probably not in the coding region of EDNRB2) for mottling)

Test mating of White Crested Polish with a mottled breed(Houdan perhaps or Tolbunt Polish) will help us greatly in identifying the mutation.

Research work: Gene Mapping of Morphological Traits in Chickens(scroll down to mottling) https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/bitstream/handle/10919/85397/Li_J_D_2017.pdf

Exchequer Japanese chicks:

Jap%20Babies.jpg

Japanese Exchequer rooster:
74f34f4c749e8751e478e1129fb2c8c9.jpg
I didn't realize the mottling in mille fluer d’Uccles was different. Can you explain further? Will it effect the phenotype of a bird?
Or is it just a different gene?

I didn't realize the mottling in mille fluer d’Uccles was different. Can you explain further?
When Analyzing the coding region of the Endothelin Receptor B2 (EDNRB2) in mille fluer d’Uccles they found that no mutation was present and it was identical to the wildtype Mo+ allele, but they went ahead and speculated that it may be a different mutation on the EDNRB2 but outside of the coding region(non-coding mutation and often incorrectly referredjunk DNA)

Non-coding DNA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-coding_DNA

So it's yet another mottling mutation(proposed by me as m^d) but one that can't be detected by current testing methods(at least currently, because detecting mutations on non-coding DNA is absolutely outside of the scope of any chicken DNA study due to the fact that we are still struggling to do that on Humans, for example Junk DNA/Non-coding DNA is believed to be responsible for Autism or at least partially)

The human genome contains around 20,000 genes, that is, the stretches of DNA that encode proteins. But these genes account for only about 1.2 percent of the total genome. The other 98.8 percent is known as noncoding DNA.

Last edited:
If I may jump in here,
Isn't it speculated that the d'Uccle breed was created by crossing Sablepoots with Japanese bantams? And with Mille Fleur being the first variety I can see how it might have similar mottling to that found in Japanese bantams.
Those exchequer Japanese chicks look exactly like my mottled Japanese bantam chicks who consistently feather in to look like this cockerel, then molt out to be a proper black mottled.
Resized_20190909_165504_wm.jpg

Those exchequer Japanese chicks look exactly like my mottled Japanese bantam chicks who consistently feather in to look like this cockerel, then molt out to be a proper black mottled.
View attachment 1904097

Yes, the Japanese mottled breeds(Chabo, mottled and exchequer) have the same chick down color(mostly white with black at the top of the head) and possibly the same mo^j mutation(Arg332His amino acid substitution in EDNRB2) The difference would be in breeding towards more black on adult birds(Mottled) and more white on adult birds(Exchequer). Studying the Exchequer Leghorn chick down is not overly diluted as these Japanese breeds so the expression of the mottling in adults is really control by the breeder but the mutation are the same:

mo^j = Mottled and Exchequer pattern found in Japanese Chabo
mo= Mottled and Exchequer pattern found in Houdan/Exchequer Leghorns

Edit. After Careful examination of the presented data, I can confirm that it was the Mottled Chabo(Japanese Bantam, among other mottled Japanese breeds) that was genetically sequenced and not the exchequer chabo(their chick down looks identical) so I changed from mo^e to mo^j mottling mutation nomenclature.

Mottled Japanese Chabo: Confirmed for Arg332His amino acid substitution in EDNRB2(mo^j/mo^j)

Last edited:
Hey guy, I thought this thread is about white crested black polish. Anyways, I use to breed mille fleur d'uccle rooster to oegb, bantam ameraucana, dutch, belgian d'anver, and serama. They come an unusual color patterns, like white, black, quail, black breasted red, silver, splash, and pumpkin. About the white crested black polish, have you ever try to cross breed to other non polish?

Back
Top Bottom