White Crested Black Polish Rooster needs TLC

chickabee11

Hatching
Sep 2, 2015
Marley is a very special guy. However, his 'girls' have picked his head almost bald. He cannot take the cold. We don't have the means to keep him segregated and warm. At our wits end. Better to put this sweet boy down? He's also a 'special needs' fella, as he can only see out of one eye. So tame...such a personality. Too bad he gets picked no matter what we've tried (tape, anti-pick, blue-kote). Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin

Hello. My name is Cassidy Fishman and I was wondering if yo still needed to find a home for your sweet little Polish boy?

Just to tell you a bit about myself, my family and I run a small animal rescue and therapy program for special needs and at-risk children, who have been mistreated, abused and neglected.
I, personally, fell in love with the Cochin, Silkie and other sorts of exotic breeds the very first time I ever saw them, and over the years I've been lucky enough to collect quite a little hodgepodge of exotic and interesting chickens. Lately, I've really been wanting to expand my little collection and add some more color and variety.
Luckily enough for me though, our 'fuzzy', little chickens are some of the kid's from our programs' very favorite animals on the farm, which gives me the PERFECT excuse to add to our adorable mini, chicken posse!
All that being said, I'm really not picky, as far as age or color. We're not interested in showing, so confirmation and bloodlines aren't all that important. And with us having run our animal rescue for most of my life, we're perfectly fine with taking in 'special needs' individuals that you may have...

And on that note, I will finally leave you alone. Thank you for your time and help and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cassidy Fishman
Phoenix Farms Animal
Rescue, Rehab & Training Facility

Tearfully reporting that Marley is in rooster heaven. The bald picked head and cold weather did him in. How have the crested varieties survived all these years? Is it better to keep "like with like" and put only crested with crested? We loved his personality, but probably won't ever be tempted to try crested poultry ever again after this devastating experience. Chickabee11 minus one.......
sad.png

One thing that I have learned is dont let your polish or crested breeds free range. I know that others will argue with this but they do much better in a secured coop. I keep my polish inside of a horse stall with a heat lamp over them. I'm sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom