White Crested Polish Bantam...

That is fine as long as they have a cooler spot to get to. I usually use 90 F the first week of age and go down by 5 dagrees weekly until all feathers are in around 6-7 weeks. The kiddie pool may need some screen on top since most chicks will start jumping up to the tops of brooders between 2-3 weeks. You don’t want to lose one who might get cold by hopping out of the brooder. Good luck with your chicks.

That is fine as long as they have a cooler spot to get to. I usually use 90 F the first week of age and go down by 5 dagrees weekly until all feathers are in around 6-7 weeks. The kiddie pool may need some screen on top since most chicks will start jumping up to the tops of brooders between 2-3 weeks. You don’t want to lose one who might get cold by hopping out of the brooder. Good luck with your chicks.
Thank you sooo much for all the advice and yes I have cut a couple screen windows so they can see every and have chicken wire for a lid. The one older girl flies already lol. But you’ve been very helpful and I’m very grateful :)

I had a batch of polish that did this and I saved some and lost some but look at two of my girls now they are about to start laying now this is beaker and Quincy. Lol ( my kids are weird when it coming to naming things) C8B03B8D-FCF4-4708-B418-AA0942C1EA1C.png 7BE6A7F6-42AB-42DB-9760-6D1632F07281.png

Go to a feed store and get Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell vitamins with electrolytes, and give her a couple of drops, up to 1 ml daily (1/5 of a tsp.) Then offer her water, and dip her beak for a second,mletting her swallow. Do this every hour or so. Do you have heat on the chicks? Some chicks can suffer shipping stress, get too cold, or suffer some dehydration. Look at her bottom for stuck poo and clean it off if necessary. Watch for any others becoming weak, and the vitamins with electrolytes would be good for them as well.
I gave her some about 20 minutes ago now. Had to sorta force her to drink. And she’s doing that weird thing with her mouth that other wild baby birds do where they tilt their head back and open wide, but she’s doing it whenever I’m not giving her something. Does that mean “I want more?” Shes also shaking on and off whereas the other chicks aren’t and she’s directly under a heat lamp. I’m really worried about her

I agree with above poster
Just give her little bits of water or sugar water and what food you can and keep her in the warmer she may come out of it or you may lose her
I’m so sorry but it’s just chicken math . It sucks but these things are fragile sometimes

It is probably her umbilicus, not her vent. The vent opening and “bum hole” are the same. The umbilicus looks a bit odd or open.
I did know there was only suppose to be one hole, however I did not know that chickens have umbilical cords. Crazy. But yeah it almost looks like another hole. I don’t wanna touch it’s though, aren’t they suppose to fall off naturally?

They do fall off, but sometimes chickens may have a little left when they come in the mail. You can apply a little betadine or other antiseptic onto it with a Qtip. Hopefully, the opening is not a bad sign. They can get infection into them rarely, and can also develop a hernia where the bowel can pop through. Not wanting to scare you, but just to make you aware to keep checking it. I have never had those things happen.
Okay... she’s still not eating or drinking willingly. I use a syringe to put water with nutri drench in her mouth. I’ve tried so many times now to get a little crumble of food in there, or egg or crushed up meal worm. She doesn’t want anything. And she’s still being “narcoleptic” and shaking sometimes. I refuse to give up... are there other things I can do? Like give her a warm bath or massage or medicine or anything?

Back
Top Bottom