White Crested Polish Cross Breeding

Which hen to I breed with my White Crested Polish?

• White Leghorn

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Buff Orpington

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Black Laced Wyndotte

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Ameraucana

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Golden Sexlink

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Altonafamily

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 3, 2012
Bellingham, WA
So I bought six hens early this spring. My white crested polish turned out to be a rooster so now I have this urge to allow some of our eggs to hatch. But I can't decide on which hen would cross best with him I have a white leghorn, black laced wyndotte, red orange and black EE, Golden sexlink, and buff orpington. Which one would you guys choose? Thanks :)

Ummm - all of the above? Why not just let them all stay together in the pen like they are and collect eggs till your incubator is full?

I've never raised chickens so I don't know much about their genetics but If they were my birds and I was cross breeding I'd probably use the BLW.

I'm doing the same cross of Polish x Easter Egger (Ameraucana). I have about six or seven of them from this years breedings.
The oldest are 21 weeks (Thursday), the roosters have just started crowing.
My next move will be to take a half Polish/ EE rooster and put over Polish/EE crosses, Polish and Easter Eggers. This will be next spring. I've just got to decide on which rooster to use.

Good luck in your decision on which to cross.

Last edited:
I have a few eggs from a grey Asil over a WCB. I'm waiting on my asil to set so I can sneak in a few of these, just for laughs. Blaine

I have a cochin roo over a sliver laced and a partrage polish hens I have had some really nice crosses come out of this mix. I sold of most of them but kept one hen out of then to breed back. she is silver laced with a body of a cochin but with a top not. We call her deva.

I have a cochin roo over a sliver laced and a partrage polish hens I have had some really nice crosses come out of this mix. I sold of most of them but kept one hen out of then to breed back. she is silver laced with a body of a cochin but with a top not. We call her deva.
love.gif

AWWW!! What a sweety!! Thanks for the input guys, I'm thinking we might go with the SLW to start with. I just want to do one mix at a time, so I can enjoy each new batch at a different time :) I also picked up a couple more baby chicks yesterday. The flock is GROWING!!

what you are calling black laced is actually called a silver laced wyandotte and just collect eggs from the girls and incubate. if you separate them then you will have to reintroduce them to the flock slowly and that maybe difficult to do. it would be best to leave them altogether to avoid messing up the pecking order.

Last edited:
I wasn't planning on incubating, just letting one of the hens lay on them when she gets broody. I'm still a newbie with my chicks, these are my first. Thanks for the ideas guys!

P.S.I meant to put silver laced not black laced on the poll but after I submitted it I couldn't change it :) Our kids call her Black Lacey so it is ingrained into my head

Back
Top Bottom