White Dove: Help me get started?

AnnaMolly

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 26, 2013
Appalachia
I rescue and foster animals in my area. Today I got a white dove and I have no previous experience with these. It was given to me in a small cage. I was informed that it was female and that its wings had been clipped before. Can someone please get me started caring for this dove? She's mine now, at least until I can find her permanent placement. Please and thank you.

Is it a ringneck dove or a white pigeon? The cage should be large enough at least for it to move around without its tail being cramped up. Pigeons and doves need longer/wider cages more than tall as they don't climb. But high enough for a perch is preferred :) for feed, you can use a wildbird seed mix with the most variety as possible. They like black oil sunflowers and safflower if you can find some with that in it. You can also opt for laying pellets, or mix the two together for more variety and nutrition. They do need grit. Crushed granite and oystershell is best, the granite helping with digestion and the shells for calcium. For doves, chick grit may be a more comfortable size, but for pigeons chicken grit may not be too big.

Hi I am vandini children's magician I am looking for more doves, do you still have your do you want to sell it , my e-mail [email protected] are you in maine, let me know. andre

Back
Top Bottom