White eye totally covered. Please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tim Stratton, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Tim Stratton

Tim Stratton In the Brooder

May 24, 2017
    I just let my chooks out this morning and I noticed the little one didn't come out. When I opened up and checked the nest boxes this little guy has this on his eye! What can I do to help him/fix the problem? Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Looks like maybe a respiratory infection. I don't know what to treat it with though as I don't treat.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @Tim Stratton :frow

It's hard to know what that is - could be pus from an eye infection.

Flush the eye with saline, remove the white matter and look for any obvious pecking injuries to the eye. Check for any mucous from the nostrils, wheezing, coughing, etc. that would indicate a respiratory illness.

Once you get the matter out of the eye, you can apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin or Vetericyn eye gel.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  4. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    How many roosters do you have with him? It looks like an eye injury. Can you take him to a vet? That would be best. Upper respiratory infection presents with, sneezing, bubbles in nostrils, rattling in chest when breathing, watery eyes. If not, I would treat for injury. Terramycin ointment, purchase at the feed store or call a vet they may sell you the medication. Place a line of ointment along the inside of lower lid. Then, close the eye to coat. He will also need injectable antibiotic to speed healing and prevent secondary infection. Upper respiratory infection is at top of list for secondary infection. He is afraid to come out because he can't see well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: