white feather in black bird - disqualification question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TinyBirds, Aug 27, 2010.

1. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I have been hatching eggs over the past year from BYC members and also raising chicks from breeders I contacted directly from breeder-lists at the breeder club websites. I haven't yet been to any shows though, so my question is this.... (and please be nice to me - I'm new to the breeder-scene and just wanting to learn from the pros!)

A few of my black birds that are around 3 months old, have a white feather-tip in the wings. Should I remove those from my list of possible breeders? I purchased 75+ chicks of this particular breed, so I can afford to be picky and assume I should remove them. But.... if they happen to be quite large and healthy (things I personally like to select for with any dual-purpose chicken), what should I do? Should I wait until after the first molt to see if the white disappears? Or just take them out of the breeding pen right now?

ETA: I didn't post the breed name here because I'd like to gather responses from various people who raise black-color birds (regardless of the specific breed - since I assume the white feather-tip situation could show up in any black color chicken).

Thanks so much!
    Jenny

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    they will probably molt out before they hit 6 months. If they are laying and have the white feather then cull them. right now I wouldn't worry about it [​IMG][​IMG]

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Exactly. They are still in their juvenile plumage. It's not at all uncommon for black birds to show some white at this point in their development.

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    since you didn't want to talk breeds, the black langshan will have white till they have there adult feathers, what you also need to watch for is purple luster in the black feather, you need green, purple will get you disqualified faster then a stray white feather

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Used to have black bantam Cochins. I was telling everyone that I was hatching out mottleds, untill they molted... [​IMG]
    I think it'll go away.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    And if you get one or two white feathers in a black bird (or black in a white) pluck it out and chances are it will grow back the correct colour.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:Exactly. They are still in their juvenile plumage. It's not at all uncommon for black birds to show some white at this point in their development.

I do agree!!

8. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:If you have black fowl and pluck out an adult white feather it will grow back as white 99 % of the time in the wing and tail section.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA

I do agree!!

I agree too. It is perfectly normal to see white feathers on black chicks as they grow out. When they go into their adult plumage they should be completely black.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Pretty normal for Aussies and Orps to have white tip on their feathers, wait for them to molt out their adult feathers before you cull them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by