White Flakes on Hens Feathers

leont

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
Hi All,

Second day of owning chickens. I have two Rhode Rock hens POL, both doing very well yesterday and settling in. This morning I have noticed on their feathers a number of small white flakes, it looks a little like cigarette ash. Reading on the forum it says it could be either shedding feathers or possibly mites/lice. They do seem to be preening an awful lot and also preening of each other, should I just keep an eye on this for now? I have attached a photo if this helps.

Thanks

1590393291881.png

Mylied

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Middle Georgia
Look close as the skin around the base of the feathers. Mites would be little white creatures that move. They do get like dandruff but that looks like more than the usual amount. What do you feed?

leont

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
Look close as the skin around the base of the feathers. Mites would be little white creatures that move. They do get like dandruff but that looks like more than the usual amount. What do you feed?
Thank you,I will give them an inspection now, they are still a little nervous coming close but are much better than yesterday. They are being fed layer pellets with a separate bowl of oyster shell and grit. They had a corn treat yesterday afternoon. Should I be feeding them on grower still with me only getting them yesterday?

If you see new feathers, the shafts of white stuff surrounding the feathers to help them poke through the skin is what they are preening off. They shed flakes like dandruff when those new feathers come in.

Did I mention that they like to do this right before a show, for maximum dust on you, in your vehicle and on the judges.

Mylied

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Middle Georgia
Thank you,I will give them an inspection now, they are still a little nervous coming close but are much better than yesterday. They are being fed layer pellets with a separate bowl of oyster shell and grit. They had a corn treat yesterday afternoon. Should I be feeding them on grower still with me only getting them yesterday?
Depends on age and if they're laying. If they are grown and laying, feed layer. If they are young and not laying, feed grower.

Top Bottom