White, Flaky Skin on Face

sorenheart

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2022
I have a broody silkie hen that has been laying on eggs for the past four days, and today I noticed this white patch of skin on her face. I think one of my bigger hens was trying to lay in the nesting box she was in, so they took a few of her feathers out in the act of trying to get her to move. I’m 90% confident that if I cleaned her up and took a toothbrush to the area, the flaky skin would fall off, but do I need to be concerned? My silkie rooster also has flaky skin on the right side of his face, but I haven’t done anything for him because his wattles were flaky about a month ago and have since healed and are looking and feeling nice and glossy. Is this just dry skin, or could it be favus?

Attachments

• 81A6D96F-4681-4F6F-B272-BC861A553901.jpeg
    81A6D96F-4681-4F6F-B272-BC861A553901.jpeg
    592.6 KB · Views: 250
Welcome To BYC

Where is her eye?

Looks like she's been plucked and what you see are holes left from where feathers used to be.

Observe to see if the others are pestering her too much while she is sitting, sometimes other hens can get too rough.
It would be wise to inspect her frequently for lice/mites since she's sitting as well.

Welcome To BYC

Where is her eye?

Looks like she's been plucked and what you see are holes left from where feathers used to be.

Observe to see if the others are pestering her too much while she is sitting, sometimes other hens can get too rough.
It would be wise to inspect her frequently for lice/mites since she's sitting as well.
Her eye is there. Sorry, I tried to take the picture at an angle that best showed what I was concerned about. My question was about the white stuff. Do I need to be concerned? My chickens free range most of the time, so they are out of the coop during the day and don’t bother my hen here, but I’ll definitely keep an eye on her in case they get too rough in the mornings and check her for lice and mites more regularly.

Back
Top Bottom