White flea like bugs on rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CartierChicken, Nov 27, 2011.

1. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have been looking online to see if I can find a picture of the bugs on one of our roosters. The rooster is on his way to the pot, but when my husband was cleaning him, he found all these white flea like bugs crawling on him. They just don't look like the pictures of mites I see, nor lice. What could they be?

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I dont know, but if he was near any other birds, they have them. I use sevein dust on my birds to kill or keep bugs off

3. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I am in Sweden, so they don't sell that here. I will have to look for something else to use. I guess I can use ashes.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    o wow, never even looked to see where you were at. well hopefully someone else can tell you more on those bugs. Good luck

5. katie4

katie4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Perhaps a natural product such as food grade DE (not sure on the exact spelling but it is something like diatomacous earth or fossilized shelled critters that is purified and ground up). It is a very fine powder that gets in the joins of exoskeletons of insects and causes enough damage to the exoskeleton joints to cause death. Be aware that is also affects good/beneficial bugs with exoskeletons and must be applied in a dry environment using a dust mask. Don't breathe the stuff!

I just discovered lice on my chickens and looked up treatments in my books (and came across your posting as I researched this great resource!). "The Chicken Health Handbook" by Gail Damerow had a pretty extensive description of the different kinds of lice that affects chickens. Also mites and other external parasites were described.

The previous poster is absolutely correct...if one chicken has it, the rest do too. Treat them to ensure the health of the hens. Even my hen and chick that have had no interaction with my main flock of 14 have lice. Ick!

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by