White "gel" stuck on to my chicken's butt? Please help! Emergency!

Pics
OK, thanks a lot! I already gave her a tiny bit (just like a bit that I broke off the pill), but I'm not sure if I can get her to open her mouth like that. Every time when I force her to open her mouth that big, she would start making those gasping sounds and I don't know if something's wrong and if I can go on. Does the gaspings mean anything?

OK, thanks a lot! I already gave her a tiny bit (just like a bit that I broke off the pill), but I'm not sure if I can get her to open her mouth like that. Every time when I force her to open her mouth that big, she would start making those gasping sounds and I don't know if something's wrong and if I can go on. Does the gaspings mean anything?
@azygous gives whole pills by grabbing the wattle, pulling opening the mouth and quickly sticking the pill inside.

I googled the instructions for Cephalexin Tablets for chickens and it said 10 mg/kg of body weight. I haven't been able to weigh her in sometime because our scale broke, but I would say she's about six pounds. The cephalexin tablets I have is 0.25 (250 mg), and I don't know how I would split that. My original thought was just give the whole tablet, but I guess not. Can too much of this kill a chicken or would it be safe for me to just feed her the whole thing?

The cephalexin tablets I have is 0.25 (250 mg), and I don't know how I would split that.

I haven't been able to weigh her in sometime because our scale broke, but I would say she's about six pounds.
Can you weigh her?
50mg/kg given 4 times a day is as high as I would go for the Cephalexin.

You report she's 6 pounds? If that's the case, then that would be (max) 136mg given 4 times a day. So give her 1/2 tablet (125mg) for each dose - I'd aim for at least twice daily if you can't get 4 doses into her each day.

Keep her hydrated, give her 1 Calcium Citrate tablet daily. Work on her eating too.
Do look her over again for lice and mites, see that her crop is emptying overnight.

1673063268795.jpeg

1673063280186.jpeg

Check your dosing of antibiotic, do some research to make sure what dosing is correct, but my dosing info says that Cephalexin dosage is 35-50 mg per kg 4 times a day for 7 days (for poultry).
Cephalexin dosage is 35-50 mg per kg 4 times a day for 7 days.
The Cephalexin dose in birds is 35- 50mg/kg PO (orally) four times a day according to Plumb's drug handbook and clinical avian medicine.
http://avianmedicine.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/18.pdf

View attachment 2646663

The dose range for an eight-pound rooster would be anywhere from 125 - 180mg four times a day.

I was very wrong(sorry) about her weight. She actually only weighs 4.8 pounds. I’ve only given her one pill today and also some watery food & calcium mixed water.
O.K.
So at 4.8 lbs at a max dose of 50mg/kg her dose would be around 110mg give 4 times a day.
So. If you give 1/2 a tablet (125mg) at least twice a day, you would probably be o.k. but ideally you want to get more than 2 doses into her - aim for 3 times a day.

Back
Top Bottom