white goose in my neighborhood all alone...

Let me know if you need help rescuing it. I'm near Hershey, PA. I could also foster it until a permanent home is found.

highfive.gif
wee.gif

She is still all alone in the retention pond :(
I say "she", but I have no clue.
She looks good to me as far as size, but I sure don't know anything about geese.
She sticks out like a sore thumb over there, being white. Very easy to see with no snow on the ground.

I don't know if she needs rescuing or not. One of my friends jogs past there & she said the goose always honks at her when she goes by.

Not sure what to do...
hu.gif

She is still all alone in the retention pond :(
I say "she", but I have no clue.
She looks good to me as far as size, but I sure don't know anything about geese.
She sticks out like a sore thumb over there, being white. Very easy to see with no snow on the ground.

I don't know if she needs rescuing or not. One of my friends jogs past there & she said the goose always honks at her when she goes by.

Not sure what to do...
hu.gif
Well Patti My name is Patty too, and if it was me I would go and make friends with her, take some scratch grains along and see if you can get her to come out of the water then you can really get a good look at her, maybe talk to some people you know to see if anyone would be willing to help you rescue her/him and find it a good home, it has to be lonely they are so into their own kind. Please post back and let us know whats going on.

Getting her/him out of the water will give you a better idea on how fit it is [health wise] can't be much to eat this time of year.

Last edited:
You know, I was just talking to my husband about the goose & neither of us have ever seen her fly...I noticed her in my neighborhood retention pond around Christmas. Shortly after that, she was in the retention pond down the road & has never left. My husband said she could have used the tiles to get to the other retention pond, as they are connected by the tiles. We see her every day & you would think we would have seen her taking off or landing at some point.

It has been bitter cold..I would like her to have shelter, but I don't see how she could...

Well Patti My name is Patty too, and if it was me I would go and make friends with her, take some scratch grains along and see if you can get her to come out of the water then you can really get a good look at her, maybe talk to some people you know to see if anyone would be willing to help you rescue her/him and find it a good home, it has to be lonely they are so into their own kind. Please post back and let us know whats going on.

Getting her/him out of the water will give you a better idea on how fit it is [health wise] can't be much to eat this time of year.

You know, I was just talking to my husband about the goose & neither of us have ever seen her fly...I noticed her in my neighborhood retention pond around Christmas. Shortly after that, she was in the retention pond down the road & has never left. My husband said she could have used the tiles to get to the other retention pond, as they are connected by the tiles. We see her every day & you would think we would have seen her taking off or landing at some point.

It has been bitter cold..I would like her to have shelter, but I don't see how she could...
Alot of geese can fly but not very well. so she probably feels safe there if thats is where she has been. We live in NC and I know there is nothing here for geese to eat, I supplement mine with feed and greens in the winter till things start growing and they are vegetarians so she has to be hungry. If there is any kind of vegetation along the pond that is probably what she has been living on, but this time of year it can't be giving her the right amount of nutrients. That would be so hard for me to see her and not try to help her. People dump domesticated water fowl off and think they can fend for themselves but in reality they can't they depend on humans for their care. He/she needs to be where there are other geese ,thats where she will be happy. Oh yes the Canadian geese will be back in the spring but they can fly so they will eventually leave her too. It is very easy to take care of geese, I feed mine the same feed my chickens eat with greens during the winter months. They don't have to have a pond. river or lake, just a kiddie pool to bath in is all they need. they can even live in a lean too as long as they are protected from strong winds and have a fence that is secure from predators. There is alot of info about geese online so if you are interested or maybe know some one who is you can get all the info you need on BYC and other places.

edited because my fingers are typing faster than my spelling is working.

Last edited:
After looking at Google images, it is a White Chinese Goose, as it has the bump on top of the beak. Are they common in PA?

I am thinking about trying to help this goose...
hide.gif
I have never chased down a "wild" goose. I have had to catch unsocialized dogs (greyhounds) before.. We used other dogs to lure them in and follow the "pack". Would this work with a goose, or is it better to have it isolated? I have 5 runner ducks that herd beautifully, could they work as "flock mentality" to chase it into a chute cage?

Back
Top Bottom