White holland heritage turkeys

Redneckracing14

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2019
I just orderd 20 white Holland turkey poults from meyer hatchery. I want to raise and hatch my own turkeys to sell and butcher like I do for chickens. I chose the white Holland because of the meat and their rarity to help perserve the breed. Anyhow raise these any words of wisdom will these turkeys go broody and hatch their own? I've raised turkeys before just not these. And how many hens do I need to keep per tom? I was thinkin 2 Tom's and 6 hens

Last edited:
I would go with 8-10 hens for 2 toms. 1 tom can take care of 10 hens for breeding but 4-5 hens per tom works well. They can go broody and hatch their own poults. I have 9 hens with 2 toms. 5 went broody and are setting on eggs right now.
Just be aware when they go broody the toms will take a setting hen as an invite to breed. So make sure nests are made so tom can not get to hen or remove toms to another pen.

What kind turkeys do you got? Do you make any special nest for the hens I was thinkin of maybe 35 gallon barrel tipped on side with straw in it be big enuff for hen to get into but not a tom?

I forgot to ask also if I keep them in the shed that they be staying in after the brooder will the continue to come back.nightly like the chickens I won't let them range until their old enuff but they be able see outside plenty

I have a lot of varieties. Toms are red bronze and semi pencilled tri color palm, hens are narrangansett, sweetgrass, red bronze, oregon gray.
The barrel may work fine. I have boxes with straw that are tall enough for hen to get into but not tall enough for a tom to climb in on top of her about 18".
You may have to herd them back to shed nightly. Mine are penned unless I am out with them and herd them back to pen when free range time is over. Some will roost in shed and some like the outside roosts no matter the weather.

I figured since these are white Holland's they be more domesticated then the rest heritage breeds available hence they come in like chickens they say there the calmest turkey breed

I figured since these are white Holland's they be more domesticated then the rest heritage breeds available hence they come in like chickens they say there the calmest turkey breed
All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey. White Hollands are just one of the many varieties of the breed Turkey.

I have not seen any evidence to suggest they are any calmer than Bourbon Reds or Slates. Other than the Royal Palms, how domestic any turkeys act is dependent more on how they are raised than anything else. Never count on turkeys of any variety to behave like chickens.

ok well thanks for information ive never really raised turkeys except for the broad brested each year or the freezer

mine should be pretty friendly if its how you raise them were my barns located its next to the orchard the fishing pond garden laying hen tractor brooding section and the hog building so should always be with me

Back
Top Bottom