White Homer Toss

That bird was a late bloomer. I should have realized that 5 miles was beyond her capabilities for her first toss although she married into to the flock well on the release.

I did a similar thing this summer and the young fledgelings was a few weeks getting back home. At least this one has a band with my phone number something that was absent on the fledgelings bird.

I have a regiment in place that is practically fool proof if I would just display enough common sense to stick to it!

Last edited:
well here is something i know not much about so ill ask some good ol' homer guys and gals.. im thinking of downsizing for now, but then getting/trading for some white homers sold by a local keeper who sells a lot for white dove release. I however have no feed back on how well they home or how the guy has his loft set up, of if they have any access to orientate themselves to his place, and havent heard of them ever being released from his loft or homing back to him. if i were to fly some, how would i eventually re settle them to any differant places, as always here generally white homers are not good fliers or homers (not saying anyone wouldnt individually have great birds themselves, just odds id end up with not basically show birds only)? ive heard of re settling or just not taking out to toss, and then re settling from letting them nest in new area and settling very slow or just flying previously unflown birds or their young. what would be a half breeds chances of homing if i mixed odd male or female white homer with odd flying flight?

I just got back into White Homing Pigeons almost exactly a year ago. The pigeons blood line I have is excellent (outside of throwing the occasional bird with a spot of colour.) My adult birds are capable of homing from 60 miles in any direction and I would not be afraid to double that distance with most of my flock.

If you got a blood line similar to mine I would advise you to get squeaker birds. If you got adult birds that have flown outside their loft in free flight you would most likely have to keep them prisoner and only fly their offspring.

In my case I bought an adult bird from one breeder than had never been outside his loft. He raised 3 sets of eggs when I figured he was ready for release only to find he headed back home to his loft approximately 100 miles away. Lozolo the breeder I got him from told me he was the exception not the rule. In a perfect world that bird was supposed to stay orientated to my loft.

I would not release an adult homer until he had raised at least 3 batches of off spring to adult hood. I would think the odds of the cross homing and performing bird would be worth a try. When it comes to genetics the only certainty is uncertainty sometimes it pays off "BIG TIME".

If nothing else it would put heartiness hopeful into your blood line (there is a lot of inline breeding in homing pigeons). As they say the proof is in the pudding you will know only after you experiment.

I have found that even with superior blood lines some birds for what ever reason do not home well and losses happen. I have one homer (even when I toss with the flock) always seems to return the next day I call him "Tomorrow".

Making it home is my reward not the time I had one young bird that took him over two weeks to make it home. Now I would not be afraid to toss that bird 200 miles he would be back the same day. Some birds are late bloomers sometimes you may get a little anxious in training and toss the bird beyond their capabilities and loss happen.

One thing I do guarantee when you try your hand at White Homing Pigeons loss will happen laughtingdog.

Last edited:
thanks for all the info, it is appreciated. i got on pigeontalk and got in the homer/racer sections, and looked at the threads some and found some white homer discussions, and think two or more people were looking for and into white homers, up in your neck of the woods. maybe you could look them up and try trading or working on something, though a couple were working on white racers, sounds like you might be able to help them, as they say way up north there, there are no good white homers with any actual homing ability at all, and they want to import from down here in states from lack of finding decent ones to start off from way up there.

I may get into selling some of my off spring at a later date. For now I am keeping every bird until I get at least 25 birds maybe even 50.

save up a hundred, as said by most what they use for the large dove releases, and make the great money off of (one friend if i can find his info for you, races his white homers, and just does dove release to train and fund ect in off season), gets a thousand US dollars for a hundred white dove release withing twenty five miles of his house, but he has some great setup he explained why he gets so much for funerals, weddings, memorials ect.. to get that many id imagine youd have to set up two nests per female to let them lay again after last pair of babes are about two weeks, for seasons.

Back
Top Bottom