White Leghorn Roo: x Copper Marans or Novogen

Erkenstein

Songster
8 Years
Dec 30, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I'm raising up a set of chicks, including 1 leghorn, 2 copper marans, and 5 novogens. The leghorn is crowing at 6 weeks when I let them out in the morning and may turn out to be a roo. Not clear from saddle feathers yet and it only crows on the ramp, but it does raise its hackles and want to claim the top spot in the flock.

I have two chicken runs, so I'll be dividing them up into groups of 5 and 3. The original plan (for all hens) was for the leghorn and marans to live together in the smaller run and the novogens in the other.

However, if the leghorn turns out to be a roo, I'm considering two options:
  1. pair it with 2 marans (original plan)
  2. pair it with 2 marans and 2 novogens (mixed flock, with the other three novogens on their own)
I don't anticipate pecking-order issues with option 2 since they are all together now. I'm interested in your opinions regarding the number of hens for a roo as well as the crosses that will result from leghorn x marans or leghorn x novogen. Thanks!

White leghorn x black copper marans - chicks that are solid white, white with some gold leakage, and/or white with red leakage (basically like a black copper maran but with white instead of black).

White leghorn x Novogen (aka red sex link) - chicks that are solid white, white with gold leakage, white with some red leakage, or red with white tail and neck feathers (like a novogen).

He should be able to get along with four hens, but it’s not a guarantee. Make sure you have a backup plan.

Thanks for your insights! It's looking more and more roostery. I have a backup crockpot if it doesn't work out.

I have a BCM roo and a White Leghorn hen. We hatched a few of their eggs, and they were single comb, yellowish gray legs, and pretty much solid white except for a few splashes of black. Cute chicks, though!

I have a BCM roo and a White Leghorn hen. We hatched a few of their eggs, and they were single comb, yellowish gray legs, and pretty much solid white except for a few splashes of black. Cute chicks, though!
I realize this is a very old post, but what did the eggs look like with these chicks? The BCM roo over a White Leghorn hen.

Back
Top Bottom