White Leghorn stopped laying

MIChickandGuinea

Songster
Jun 28, 2017
Western Michigan
We have a year-old white leghorn who has been an amazing, prolific, reliable egg layer ever since she started laying last summer (she was a March chick last year). She had rarely ever skipped a day, even when there were coop upsets, changes, weather issues, new chickens introduced, etc.

But suddenly, she's just not laying any eggs. We have gotten 2 eggs in 3 weeks since I really tuned in to the lack of white eggs in our skelter. She appears healthy, is still friendly and curious, still races to get chicken treats when I call for all the birds, seems completely normal within the social structures of the flock, and in all ways, just like herself - except for not laying eggs. Everyone else is still laying normally, even our more finicky, temperamental layers.

The only two things I can think of that might qualify as upsetting to chickens/egg laying are that we had a terribly aggressive young child come visit us and he was reported to have kicked one of our chickens (though I did not see this, I can easily believe it because of the number of times I had to talk to him about chasing/harassing them). I don't see any chickens looking hurt or slow - and this was 3 weeks ago now, anyway. All the other hens are still laying about the same number of eggs per week that we're used to seeing. The other thing is that our group of bantam chickens has started reaching maturity, particularly the roosters. The roosters are bothering ALL of the hens, not just the bantams. Maybe the leghorn is more annoyed by this development than the other chickens (still laying normally) are?

Things I've tried:
They had been spending a LOT of time free-ranging this summer, so I thought maybe the leghorn had decided to hide her eggs instead of laying in the coop nest box. So I have confined all the chickens inside for a few days, thinking she would lay her egg in the next box if not given the chance to hide it. But in 3 days, so far no white eggs.
I have double-checked all the feeders and waterers, as well as the free-choice oyster shell dispensers, to make sure that everything is exactly as it should be.
I have checked the coops to see if there is something wrong in there - moisture or insects or anything that might cause a kerfuffle ... but things look clean and dry and fluffy and comfy for birds, no change from the usual.
I have watched to see if she's being singled out or ending up in conflicts - but she's not! She just tootles around all happy and chickeny, doing her sweet little thing, like always.

So ... Where are little Maude's eggs?!

TIA

-Beth

Have you had really dry-hot days recently? We've had those down in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and it affected my hens egg production.
Well, we don’t do dry/hot in Western Michigan the way you do in Texas. Our dry/hot days have been like 85-90 in the daytime and 60-75 overnight. A little warmer than the ladies are used to, but they have abundant shade and cool dust bathing spots all over the forest. Maude has laid consistently through a couple of much hotter weather spells earlier this summer and last summer... plus, she is supposedly the most heat-hardy breed we have. Most of ours were chosen for their ability to tolerate our cold winters.

I'm guessing molting too.....some of mine have started.

Our dry/hot days have been like 85-90
..and the hot days are usually not 'dry'....50% would be nice....but often up in the 80% range

She's 17 months old, so prime time for first adult molt.
They may stop laying before you see the feathers dropping all over the place.
The days are becoming exponentially shorter, which is what triggers cessation of lay and molt.

I’ve got a leghorn that’s same age and is in the middle of a molt.

Is yours production or heritage? My leghorn was hatched in a class from production stock, and she didn’t stop laying during her molt. At least your girls getting a break, I feel bad sometimes for these production types that churn them out.

I'm guessing molting too.....some of mine have started.

..and the hot days are usually not 'dry'....50% would be nice....but often up in the 80% range

She's 17 months old, so prime time for first adult molt.
They may stop laying before you see the feathers dropping all over the place.
The days are becoming exponentially shorter, which is what triggers cessation of lay and molt.
Oooohhhh, I hadn’t even thought of a molt. But a couple of the other girls are starting to look pretty ragged, and I was thinking it was because they are favorite targets for our extremely enthusiastic bantam Cochin rooster. But a molt is probably exactly it!

And yeah -we do have our fair share of humidity on our warmer days!

I’ve got a leghorn that’s same age and is in the middle of a molt.

Is yours production or heritage? My leghorn was hatched in a class from production stock, and she didn’t stop laying during her molt. At least your girls getting a break, I feel bad sometimes for these production types that churn them out.
I assume mine is from production stock - she’s from a big hatchery and I got her from Tractor Supply Company. But I don’t actually know...
But yes, Maude deserves a break. She’s such a sleek, small lady and she has spent a year laying the HUGEST eggs.

* Anything I need to do extra or differently to see the girls through their molt?

As soon as I noticed molting this year I started adding additional protein. I’ve been feeding black oil sunflower seeds and mealworms. (I moved the girls from the barn where I think they were receiving some ambient fluorescent light in early July to a new spot with no nearby light and I think that, plus the move in general, triggered the molt in all my older hens).

I have only noticed her losing some feathers around her head but her laying has not decreased. She is the first to RUN when I’ve got the treats and gobbles them up, so if you supplemented with some extra protein, she may start laying sooner again.

Back
Top Bottom