White Leghorn, the forgotten breed

When I had my first flock I was rather young in my early 20's. There were years since where I had no birds then decided to give it a go again. I wanted dual purpose so I got Rhode Island Reds. Someone gave me my White Leghorns. They had gotten them as chicks but didn't have the time to care for them and knew I had chickens so came up and asked if I would take them and I said yes. They are more flighty than my other breeds but I really do enjoy them and they do lay the eggs. When they go through their molt they still seem to lay well. They may skip and extra day as far as laying but are pretty consistant when the others are taking breaks. I hope my Brown Leghorns lay as well but some tell me they are still very good layers but not quite like the Whites. We will see. My young Whites started laying at 20 weeks but my pure RIR's Take a much longer time before they start. My RIW's start earlier then my RIR's. Now I'm off to a Farm Swap.

The past couple of days I have gotten few eggs with the Leghorns. Most of my other breeds have nearly stopped laying too from molting, but up to a couple of days ago the Leghorns were laying every day. I thought they may have found a hiding place as they have done that before but I looked real good and there is no place. I checked everywhere they could go. The have their own coop and pen and I have been having hawks around and young ones fledgling. One young Red-Tail hawk was in our woodpile, I think was looking for mice as all of the sudden I have seen some mice. I killed 5 mice a couple of days ago. I don't think the young hawks would try a large fowl but I have had adult hawks kill adult birds in the past. The parents have stopped feeding their young and now they are feeding on their own or trying to. The adults fly over the pens and coops too. We have a tower next to a grow-out coop and pen and most every day lately I have seen either a Red Tail or Sharp Shinned hawk on top of the tower. All of the pens are covered so nothing can get in.

I have a few turkey buzzards and a chicken hawk that are around here, when ever they get too low to the ground I chase them away with my drone
lau.gif
gig.gif
I would love to see that.

I'm still not sure if my Brown Leghorns are Brown Leghorns. I don't see white earlobes. They just turned 3 months old.

This was at 2 months

I'm trying to upload a picture I just took but my computer is not cooperating.

I'm still not sure if my Brown Leghorns are Brown Leghorns. I don't see white earlobes. They just turned 3 months old.

This was at 2 months

I'm trying to upload a picture I just took but my computer is not cooperating.
That looks like a Partridge Rock. Brown Leghorn pullets don't have any patterning on the chest.

Brown Leghorn females should have a rosey brown chest, free of black patterning/stippling. Penciling through the chest would indicate improper pattern genes or that it's a different breed, all together.

Back
Top Bottom