White Leghorn, the forgotten breed

The words are a little fuzzy, and it is in older script where some of the letters look different... But the bold print at the top translates to "Italian, white and black" Italian is the breed name for Leghorn in Germany.

Ok... I typed that and then decided to at least look and see how difficult it was to read... And just the first line is pretty interesting.

It translates to:

Characeristic body shape of rooster: "landchickenform" with an elegant and proud bearing.

That word in quotes is a direct translation of the German word.... Not sure what it would actually translate to.

Ok... I typed that and then decided to at least look and see how difficult it was to read... And just the first line is pretty interesting.

It translates to:

Characeristic body shape of rooster: "landchickenform" with an elegant and proud bearing.

That word in quotes is a direct translation of the German word.... Not sure what it would actually translate to.

Been busy lately cleaning inside and under the coops. Had to repair a roof that was damaged by storm Hermine. When the weather cool off a bit all of the roofs on the coops will be changed to metal as will as eventually the exterior of the coops too. Moved birds around for the fall/winter months.and considering which birds will be shown this season.which is just over a month away until the first show. I will work on the translation. The image is a little challenging.

Last edited:
All my rooves are metal. I like the metal rooves, but you do want to use super big washers on the screws if you tend to get high winds.

I have some of the metal for some of the coops but not all. I'm waiting until it gets a bit cooler before I start the projects. It's around 90 here during the day here now. In another month it will start to cool down. We do get occasional high winds as we are on top of a hill. We have the larger screws with washers. I have to measure so I can order the metal we need to finish all of the coops. Not only the roofs but we are going to do the siding also with metal. The wood is deteriorating. We don't get the freezing weather that would kill most organisms. Most years we might get a night or two in the upper teens and lower 20s. We are putting the metal over the rolled roofing that is already on the roofs so I need to put furring strips under the metal for an air space so there will be no condensation under the metal on the roofs.

I have 4 coops with metal roofs and 3 of them also have metal siding. I have another 7 coops that are wood siding with rolled roofing. All of those coops will eventually have metal roofs and siding. I have enough metal for a couple of the coops and 4 coops we started with the vent covers which are now metal. I wish we had done it many years ago when we built the coops.

Here are a couple of the coops. The coop on the left has a metal roof but we need to rebuild the nest boxes and put the metal on the sides. The coop on the right, we need to put metal on the roof but did put some metal on the vent covers and the roost clean out. They come off and makes it easy to clean out under the roosts. I have to do some measurements and order the rest of the metal. We found a place that is quite reasonable and will cut the metal to the lengths we need for the coops. These coops are in pretty good shape. I have some others that need attention. They are all pretty old and have been around for many years. I have painted them every year but they need more work as some of the siding is getting some rot along the bottom of the coops. I'll cut it off and fix it before we put the metal on. We had a storm not long ago Hermine. Some of the rolled roofing came loose on one coop and some blew off on another coop. I repaired them until we can get the metal roofing on. During the storm we had several days of rain. Some local areas were flooded from the storm. Luckily we are on a hill so we will never flood and if we do the whole state would be under water, but we got the wind and rain. The coop that lost some of the rolled roofing leaked and I had a real mess in the coop. At least it isn't leaking now but it's just a repair until the metal can be put on.

Here are two pictures of my White Leghorn

Back
Top Bottom