White leghorn VS 4 foot fence

Cinnamon11

Songster
May 18, 2020
California
This spring I got 3 chicks from my grandma 1 being a white leghorn. The fence is not covered (although there are many trees providing shade) and is only 4 feet high on one side and the fence I share with my neighbor is only about 5 feet tall. I’m worried my 13 week old leghorn with find a way to jump over the fence (my neighbor also has 3 big dogs who would hurt her the moment she jump over) her wings are clipped but is there anything else I should do to keep her safe?

Right now I am struggling with 2 white leghorns, hatched in late March & both pullets, who are
hopping onto the top of a 4 ft. hog panel and tight-rope-walking down it to get into my horse's feed bucket. I severely clipped their wings and that made one stop, the other can still jump straight up high enough to get on the fence. I don't have a solution but you are right to be concerned!

Mine free-range on 4 acres, I ain't roofing that. It's always been the white leghorns doing this kind of thing. They seem to be VERY athletic. Sometimes another breed will copy their example and do the same bad trick but usually a wing clip fixes it. Once they learn a trick & re-inforce it with feed, they have to be redirected into a different habit - a wing clip usually convinces them that they can't jump/fly and they give up.
My 2 are escaping on purpose so I have to convince them that it is impossible. I tried tieing tomato cages on top of the fence but they figured out how to get through that.
I know the leghorns are more challenging that most of my other breeds but I love the masses of eggs and crossbreeding them into my flock.

Mine free-range on 4 acres, I ain't roofing that. It's always been the white leghorns doing this kind of thing. They seem to be VERY athletic. Sometimes another breed will copy their example and do the same bad trick but usually a wing clip fixes it. Once they learn a trick & re-inforce it with feed, they have to be redirected into a different habit - a wing clip usually convinces them that they can't jump/fly and they give up.
My 2 are escaping on purpose so I have to convince them that it is impossible. I tried tieing tomato cages on top of the fence but they figured out how to get through that.
I know the leghorns are more challenging that most of my other breeds but I love the masses of eggs and crossbreeding them into my flock.
My leghorn (Luna) is not yet laying but I am very exited for when she does!

Darn I think it might be time to build a roof on their coop it’s like 40 feet long and 30 feet wide though so it will be a big project 😬
For the coop or run?
Many use netting for large runs to keep birds in.
@rosemarythyme has a good example.
Post some pics of your run for better suggestions.

I had 2 brown leghorns that did the same thing. No matter what I did couldnt get them to stay in the 100 square foot yard. Every morning they jumped it and every evening they went back in.
Mine always return at night, too, but sometimes they can't seem to figure out how to get back in and will pace the fence waiting on me to get them in through the gate.

The netting that many of us use on here is this one: https://pinnonhatch.com/Poultry-Sup...y-Protection-Netting/2-heavy-knotted-netting/ They have different opening sizes and weights, but the 2" heavy seems to be the most popular on here.

Because some of your fencing is on the short side (after all you need to be able to access the run), assuming you don't want to replace the fence you'd need to create a higher edge for the netting to rest on. For the 4' tall side of my run I used 6' U-posts and ran tension wire across the top of the posts to create a roughly 6' tall boundary around the run. You'll also need some support in the center to hold up the net - in my case my coop serves that purpose, along with some cross supports on the other half of the run.

coopnew1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom