White leghorns... argh...

bakerjw

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Johnson City, Tn
I picked up some pullets this spring from the local TSC. I had a single chick hatch and wanted to get it some company so along came a group of 8 pullets. After a while it became apparent that I had received 8 white leghorns. Of all chicken breeds available I did not want WLs. They are the flightiest most spastic creatures that I;ve ever seen in my life.

And last night we received our first white egg.

Why couldn't I have picked up red sex links instead?

Yes they are!!! If I knew then what I know now, these 2 white leghorns I have would not be mine!!! First time chicken owner, and they are just not what I had hoped for !!!

If I had the money, they would have their own little coop and run. My other hens would be so much happier. They live in fear every day!

Good luck!! As a side note....they do lay good eggs !

Wow, I love my leghorns. Out of all my chickens they are the only ones I can pick up without complaining. I think mine are just waaaay too spoiled. Plus my DH only wants their eggs- he keeps insisting they taste better (/sigh, I know, I know).. I must have gotten a good batch!

Last edited:
Had to come back to add that I do have to agree that they both are so sweet, (with me),and I can pick them up, and they love it, but mine do not co exist well with others.

I have for of them and yes they are differnt they are the most unfriendly of all our girls but the are good layers and what they lack in personality and beauty they make up for it in eggs......good luck

A.T. Hagan :

Unless you are eating the shells what difference does the color make?

I like my Leghorn girls. More eggs on less feed.

x2 My leghorn has just laid her first dozen (started at 17 1/2 weeks) while the other breeds who are now 20 1/2 weeks haven't done a thing! She is a great chicken and very friendly. I just received an order of chicks (27 large fowl pullets) and am excited to see what appears to be several white as well as brown leghorns. They are just egg laying machines!​

We have 6 leghorns (also TSC chicks) and I have to say I love them to pieces! I wasn't too thrilled at first, when I discovered they were white leghorns because I'd heard about the flightiness...but most of mine are real sweet. I hold them and hand feed them all the time. And, oddly enough, they lay light brown eggs which is a bonus for me!

Back
Top Bottom