White Leghorns Or Not??

Lilywater101

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Hi everyone, Ive been debating recently on whether I should purchase some white leghorn pullets. I want to purchase them because of their excellent egg production..BUT I dont think I would like a nervous, skittish chicken, I like to be able to handle my chickens becasue sometimes it is necessary to pick them up or be around them. Also is the fact that they are white a problem "predator wise." Ive also heard that they are noisy birds....?

Can anyone tell me what they think? Anyone who has white leghorns could you tell me how their temperment is like?

Suggestions would greatly be appreciated!
big_smile.png

I went back and forth on the same thing. I went with Red/golden sexlinks ( golden comets ). She is my favorite hen lays a jumbo egg every day since she started at 26 weeks old. She is 10 months old now and follows me around the yard and is happiest in my arms being carried and has even learned her name ( minnie ) I have been around leghorns and unless you spend tons of time with them they tend in my opinion to be more skittish. I do think they can be a little noisy but not bad just depends on what you consider noisy
big_smile.png
I do not know about "predator wise" i have never had a white bird but I would think they would end up being easier to spot.

Hope I Helped

Well, I have two, and they do lay some great big white eggs. I don't think they have as much personality as my other girls, if there is such a thing. Also, they are not as friendly as my other girls, but they are not mean. You could definitely handle them if you condition them to be handled. They are not nervous but they can fly quite well. Mine have a great big classic egg song in the morning that can last for a while before the egg is laid, and then again after the egg is laid. Otherwise they really don't make any noise at all. I guess their color would make them more easy to spot by a predator -- mine are protected in an enclosed run unless I am out with them. I am happy with my two but am glad I have some other varieties. I too have some Comets (love them!) and think the Comet girls have had a calming influence on the Leghorns so maybe mine are not true to character. Barred Rocks make a nice pet/egg layer too!
Good luck with whatever you choose!

I've got 4 that I raised from chicks. Two of them are lap chickens. The other two are friendly but not lovey. My leghorns are the first out of my coop in the morning (when it's still seriously dark out) and they lay almost every day. I absolutely love them, they're full of personality.

My mom has 4 chickens, all white leghorns that she got as started pullets from the feed store. All of them are friendly but not lovey and my mom loves them.

Here's a picture of one of mine channeling Jabba the Hutt.

46869_img_2179.jpg

I got 3 leghorns for egg production. I also got a comet.

These two breeds have the same type of skinny body with egg production vs food consmption ratio.

For PERSONALITY AND NATURE - - - I will do COMETS again in a heartbeat. I have to chase my leghorns all over the coop to catch them to take them to the free range area. The comet is a much more calmer bird.

NEITHER are aggressive or mean. They are freiendly and want the same treats that everyone else wants, but they like to stay a few feet back from the action.

GO COMETS - -- GO COMETS. The only negative thing about them is you will not be able to breed you own comets from comets and still have sex linked chicks. . . . . So you will need to order comets everytime you want more
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom