White mass in chicken eye

I have a chicken with one of those. I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow, so I have to take care of it tonight. Can I have the chicken sitter give her some Clyndomyacine? I have some left from another chicken.

I have a chicken with one of those. I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow, so I have to take care of it tonight. Can I have the chicken sitter give her some Clyndomyacine? I have some left from another chicken.

If you give it clyndomyacine first will it be easier to drain the next day?
Chicken pus is generally a semi-hard substance, it doesn't drain so you would need to physically remove it.

As for the Clindamycin, that would not be my first choice for treating respiratory disease infection, it's more suitable for joint, bone or deep wound infections. Tylan 50 or even Baytril would be better, imho.

Update on chicken
20190822_143626.jpg
20190822_143549.jpg

Her face is dirty because she just took a dust bath and it is sticking to her triple antibiotic ointment. Her eye looks a little better than on day 1. I have tried to pull out the pus pretty much on a daily basis with no luck; whatever membrane (?) is around it is too stuck to her eye I think. No pus on the roof of her mouth or anything. My local vet charges $60 for an appt and then it depends on the treatment. What do you guys think, is that something worth doing? She still doesn't have other symptoms and is laying eggs and living her life pretty normally.

Last edited:
If you look closely in this picture you can see the indentation where I tried to pull it out with tweezers. Its pinkish in real life which concerns me. Does everyone think it is pus in a tough sac? If so what kind of timeline do I have to get it out? Again it started yesterday. I dont want her to lose her eye and shes definitely not blind in it yet. View attachment 1880867
What you can try, I'm not a vet. 1/4 teaspoon of borax, in one half pint of warm tap water. Stir the heck out of it and leave set for 10 minutes. Either poor it off slowly leaving into another jar, leaving what didn't dissolve behind, or just poor through a coffee filter. Use a bare (needle less) syringe Squirt it all up in and around, don't touch they eye, but soak it good, wait ten minutes, do it again. It's the same as the $30 eye wash bottle in a commercial first aid kit, and it will loosen puss or wound tracts. Will help the infection too. good luck

Back
Top Bottom