White rice looking things in poop - help!

Zillaah

Chirping
Nov 2, 2018
ED24EB4C-D99A-47ED-9D6F-95C99C60C50D.jpeg

Today I noticed these tiny rice looking things in some poops. Worms? How do I treat them? Do they effect the eggs?

I have noticed lately some of my girls have been being picked on but I haven’t caught the bully(ies) in the act. Could it be that they are being picked on due to illness? I have 11 chickens that are all a little over a year old and I haven’t noticed this behavior until about a month or so ago.

Is it just this poo that has the worms or several of them? I would clean their poop boards really well and then check first thing in the AM. That should tell you if this is tapeworms or maggots after the fact.
I'm leaning more towards tapes. Never seen maggots like that on chicken poo...but then again there is a first for everything.

Thanks everyone. It was a fresh looking poo so I don’t think they are maggots and I did see another one the yard with similar white things. I don’t know which bird laid it so I will treat them all. Should I be tossing any eggs they’ve laid lately or are they still safe? Does anyone have any idea if I should be treating my yard or coop with something? They are free range in my yard, about a half acre, only in the coop at night.

That looks to me like maggots laid after the fact by flies. Those don't look like tapeworms to me.

If they ARE tapes, I think you'd be seeing some symptoms because of my many there are.

I haven’t seen any symptoms besides some of them being bullied. What symptoms would they be exhibiting?

Thanks everyone. It was a fresh looking poo so I don’t think they are maggots and I did see another one the yard with similar white things. I don’t know which bird laid it so I will treat them all. Should I be tossing any eggs they’ve laid lately or are they still safe? Does anyone have any idea if I should be treating my yard or coop with something? They are free range in my yard, about a half acre, only in the coop at night.
It's best to toss eggs in the garbage 14 days after dosing with Equimax.
Insects are the host of infective tapeworm eggs. Chickens eat the infected insect, then the chicken becomes infected. Keep in mind that not all insects are infected.

I haven’t seen any symptoms besides some of them being bullied. What symptoms would they be exhibiting?
You are already seeing symptoms, segments in feces. Eventually the infected chicken(s) will become weak, emaciated and slowly die from starvation. The immune system will also weaken, opening the door for diseases to invade the chickens system.

Yeah, weakness and lethargy, slowed egg laying and poor feather quality.

A fecal test at a vet usually runs $15-30, so it might be good to run a test if you think it's tapes then treat appropriately.

Back
Top Bottom