White RIR's?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
I've heard of a white RIR a.k.a. Silver RIR. I was wondering if there really is such a thing and could someone please post a pic so we can see what it looks like?
And before anyone thinks I live under a stone, I live in South Africa. We could until recently not get a RIR for sale anywhere. In fact, I've never even seen one in the flesh! I phoned the biggest hatcheries in the country (one of them mentioned the Silver Rhodes), but no-one breeds them anymore. They went "out of fashion". I really wanted to buy some RIR's as I heard good things about them, but no joy.
We now have a breeder who is based about 650 miles from us and he is selling RIR's and "white RIR's", but I don't know what to think, as no-one's ever heard of such a thing around here. (I'm also cautious, because I ordered 100 "RIR" chicks from a breeder two years ago and received a box full of mixed breeds. That was a very expensive mistake.)
A friend of ours is now planning on buying a lot of chicks from this guy, sight unseen and I promised him I'll ask you guys and let him know what you say, before he takes the plunge. They are really incredibly expensive.
I've noticed that there are a lot of RIR owners on this forum. Please educate us!

Quote:
I've heard of a white RIR a.k.a. Silver RIR. I was wondering if there really is such a thing and could someone please post a pic so we can see what it looks like?

There are two Rhode Island Breeds and they are the Rhode Island Red and the Rhode Island White. (note that the Rhode Island Red and the Rhode Island White are two different breeds)
The Red can have either a Single or a Rose Comb but the White only has a Rose Comb Variety.

Now there are some breeds that are outside the U.S. that we don't have in the U.S. The "Silver" Rhode Island that you speak of my be a Rhode Island Cross like a Sussex/ Rhode Island cross or a White Plymouth Rock/ Rhode Island cross. It would be had to say for sure.

Here are some pictures of the Rhode Island -

Red Single Comb -
33115_dsc_0906.jpg

Red Rose Comb -
33115_copper-b-iii.jpg

White -
http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/rhodewhite.html

Chris​

Back
Top Bottom