white rock masking barring? or is he really a white rock????

Quote:
Where did you get your bird from? did you get it as a chick or a little older?

Chris

Last edited:
Weight is not the only thing that constitutes a show quality bird.

There is a "flow" to a white Rock. Your bird does not exhibit it. His tail angle is too high, his head is too narrow, the wing feathers are not tucked in and held close to the body as in a good bird.

There is nothing wrong with having a pet quality bird. They will make good yard ornaments as well as keep you in good supply of eggs (well, obviously not him seeing as how he is a rooster) and can make very good pets. He may do well in a local show, but if he is competing against birds bred towards the standard, he will not place well.

You are entitled to your own opinion, I am simply stating what is preferred in the standard of perfection and what the judge will desire in a bird if he is judging towards the standard.

Here are some of the issues I see with your bird:
Standard calls for: Back: Rather long, broad its entire length, flat at shoulders, nearly horizontal from neck to saddle, then showing a slight concave sweep to tail.
What I see in your bird: Back: The back looks short, and slopes downward. It could be the angle of the photo. There is no sweep to the tail. The back and the tail just sort of "push" together making the odd angle.

Standard Tail: Medium length, moderately spread carried at an angle of thirty degrees above horizontal.

What I see: Length is ok, the tail is tightly put together and the angle is greater than thirty degrees.

Wings: Medium size, well folded, lower edge of folded wing nearly horizontal. Fronts, well covered by breast feathers and points well covered by saddle feathers. Primaries and Secondaries--board and overlapping in natural order when wing is folded.

What I see: The wings are not folded, the lower and edge points towards the ground. The fronts of the wings are not well covered and the points are not covered by the saddle feathers.

These are just some of the things I am seeing upon immediate inspection. I am not saying that you should not keep him for enjoyment, only that he is not a bird bred towards the Standard for the breed.

Quote:
Not to sound mean but;
I will let you know that the bird in the picture is at least a year old.
A 6 month old bird isn't going to have that large of spurs yet.

Chris

Quote:
It is alright. In your previous post I could have sworn you had asked about the quality of your bird. But I do not know now since I did not quote your exact words.

And to answer your initial question, whites are a sport of the barred birds. Some birds will still show some slight barring, but most will not.

Quote:
Not to sound mean but;
I will let you know that the bird in the picture is at least a year old.
A 6 month old bird isn't going to have that large of spurs yet.

Chris

he just started crowing though and our barred rock roo who was about the same age had spurs those size

Well- I think he's a nice looking roo. Probably a bit older like Chris09 said- just going by the size of the wattles. He may get a better tail after a molt. What I don't like is when you ask about a color of your bird and someone instantly says it's hatchery quality. You didn't even ask that! I can understand why you were upset. God forbid someone says that about their birds
tongue.png

Hmmm. I thought I had two white leghorns, but they sure look like the picture the OP posted.

What is the difference between a leghorn and a white rock?

Back
Top Bottom