white rooster

You did an absolutely beautiful job rehabilitating this poor baby!!
thumbsup.gif
He is gorgeous!!!

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Chickie'sMoma :

actually, i think he is a yokohama http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Phoen/BRKYoko.html

he'd
be a beautiful bird when he is cleaned up and back to good health again. but i would keep it separated till you can find out if it is aggressive or not, and quarantined the 30 or so days.

It's not a Yokohama, it's a pit game. He's clearly been fought & probably lost which was why he was discarded.​

i was outside feeding and just looking around. "rudy", the white roos name now, is a lot smaller than my ee mix roo which is only 6 months. he seems to have a finer bone structure than the other one. if he was intended to be a fighting roo, i think they picked the wrong breeds. with a bone structure that fine in fighting, there would be constant broken bones.

on another note. i finally found out who it was that tossed him out. it was one of my neighbors sons. my neighbor i found out, is currently in jail on drug charges and his family is suppose to be looking after/ finding new homes for the animals. i talked to his mother about it, and she said just keep him. i have been periodically checking on the situation at my neighbors, you know checking to make sure the animals are being fed and watered, have shelter, and are not suffering from cold stress. well, the rest don't look so good. they are fluffed out, depressed, and frost bitten. the coon-hound had been fed though. we are currently experiencing one of the coldest, snowy winters in alabama that i can ever remember. what should i do to help them? local law or spcas are out. local law doesn't care, and spca are filled up or charge to take animals in. there is about 10 more "traditional" game roos, and one hen with a leg band. anybody got any suggestion?

Quote:
Maybe your only option is to offer to buy them and them take care of them until you can find them homes. But if you are like me - money might be a problem. If they have the roosters separted now you may have to keep them separated to if you do end up with them. Good luck with whatever happens and your white rooster looks a 100% percent better already!! Great job!!

Glad you rehabbed the rooster. But it does burn to know that people like that (improper care) give people who own game chickens a bad name and got all these laws on game chickens now. They are natural aggressive to other roos and should be keep separate. I think that if you offered to take the others they would probably give them to you, but they will take a lot of TLC to get the bird to good health. The more game the bird is the more likely it will pull through. Most people in MS won't touch a Game chicken do to the laws. Even the hens will kill each other. Game chickens main thing is show (in more ways than one). They make get pets but are hard to home. You could try to put him in your local paper, others use craigslist, put up a flier at local feed stores and vets if they will let you. I think he is part Toppie too but probably got some Thompson White (or something like that) in him too.

Awwww Im so sorry that your deal fell through. Im sure if you offered him to a home free and stated that you know he has game in him someone would jump at the chance. I would if I were closer. As far as the neighbor situation, depending on them I would offer to take care of them. If they know that some of the breeds are game they might just try to price them on you and then well you know. They wouldnt be thinking of the chickens best interest. I wish you luck on this and you did a wonderful job of getting old rudy back in shape.
thumbsup.gif

He looks AMAZING! Great Job! You could call the ASPCA ....even though they are overwhelmed right now...that is their job to investigate these matters and alot of times they won't remove the animals but they do a great job of making sure that the people get with it and start caring for their animals properly. It's just the same as if you were questioning your neighbor for childabuse...yes...we ALL know how overwhelmed and faulty that system is but...it's the only sytem we have and it there for a reason...to be used! You can't save them all by yourself ...but that's why we have authorities in place to help out...and you should feel really proud that you made a HUGE difference for that one! Thanks so much for keeping us up to date on this thread! I've enjoyed reading though this whole experience! Blessings, Keri

Back
Top Bottom