alecia555

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2021
hey all!
i’m looking at getting a silkie rooster for my silkie girls and i found a lady that has one around the same age however he has white skin.
i was just wondering if this is a genetic thing or if it’s possibly crossed with some other breed. the lady says it’s unlikely that it’s a cross breed but can’t be sure.
i’m also wondering as i will be using the roo to breed if that gene would be carried on to all of his chicks or not.
any help would be appreciated
ps. attached is a pic she sent of him. an obvious pink comb instead of the usual black colour

Attachments

• EE73A7DB-EE7B-4617-8CBB-CEE55C3F532B.png
    EE73A7DB-EE7B-4617-8CBB-CEE55C3F532B.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 42
If I recall correctly, silkies can carry the pale skin gene. I too have a pale skinned silkie but she's from TSC so who knows if she's pure or not lol

If I recall correctly, silkies can carry the pale skin gene. I too have a pale skinned silkie but she's from TSC so who knows if she's pure or not lol
thank you! have you had any chicks using her/him and if so have they had black skin or white?

I would not recommend buying him if you plan to breed pure silkies. The white silkies are the most common color so having a red comb and the yellow beak is not acceptable for breeding.
yeah i think your right. i don’t think i’ll get him as yes i am going to be breeding pure silkies and don’t want the gene to carry on. thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom