White Sport Cream Legbars

Pics
My white x white never produced a single viable chick.  Most eggs never started, and those few that did quit before hatch.

My white x cream didn't fare much better, and this week I lost the only cream pullet I had that carried the recessive white gene to the cold.  But I have a few cockerels carrying white that I can use.

I have another pair of white legbars growing out, but they are brother/sister so I don't want to breed them together.  In the spring I'm going to put a cream roo carrying white on the white pullet and see if that gets me more white chicks.

My trio are related but I will try breeding them this coming spring. I'm also going to test breed the male back to the hen I think might be throwing the whites.this morning the whites were the only ones to venture out of the coops into the cold morning snow and air.

Last edited:
Since there is Araucana in their background, I wonder if there is a lethal gene in the white sports somewhere?

There are lethal genes connected to color in dog and horse breeds. Maybe I just think too much....

There was talk about this a little while back, it is possible.

Since there is Araucana in their background, I wonder if there is a lethal gene in the white sports somewhere?

There are lethal genes connected to color in dog and horse breeds. Maybe I just think too much....

The lethal gene found in true US araucanas comes from the tufts. When two tufted birds are bred together, it is the same as the creeper gene in Japanese and Scots Dumpy's, any birds that are pure for the gene die in the shell, the birds that hatch out showing it (tufts or short legs) only have 1 dose of it

So if not related to the tufts, what could be killing the chicks before they hatch? Just curious. I had one white sport make it to LD from a different set of shipped eggs, but then it never pipped. When I mentioned that to others a while back, some had experienced the same thing.

My white sport cockerel is doing OK but he is not keeping up with the growth of normal colored cream legbars.

Merry Christmas to all and a joyous, healthy, and Happy New Year!

My white sport cockerel is doing OK but he is not keeping up with the growth of normal colored cream legbars.

Merry Christmas to all and a joyous, healthy, and Happy New Year!
My white sport is not the biggest but he is also not the oldest. I have found that most times my younger boys will remain a bit smaller all around with another Alpha in the pen. I have 2 boys duking it out for Alpha currently (1 is 16 months and the other is 6 months old) so the others are not a large or aggressive, even their combs remain smaller until they are on their own. I will be starting them on more protein rich diet in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom