White Sport Cream Legbars

Oh - BTW, if you haven't visited this site yet, it is really interesting
http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm#berkenEN

And the chicken calculator made by Henk69 on BYC - you can play around with some color combinations - such as recessive white, dominant white, and barring and see what you could come up with -- Of course it is a computer program and based on the dominant and recessive etc. and what you KNOW -- there is a lot you don't know in the birds genetics...

Henk is a genius here is another of the calculators
http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

ETA - Okay-- after putting up that link...I went to the Chicken calculator -- Tim Adkerson had given me some genetic information regarding Cream Legbars -- long time ago....
Crested Cream legbar (CCL) are wild type (gold duck wing), sex linked barred, and carry the cream gene. They also carry a form of autosomal red.
and the genes he listed are e+/e+, s+/s+, B/B or B/w, w/w, Id/Id or Id/w, Cr/Cr, O/O -- the Id, Cr and O don't show on the chicken calculator...

Plug these genes in -- or start with the gold duckwing and add barring B/Bfor the male; B/- for the female s+/s+ for gold, and ig/ig for cream....when you calculate you will get an image of the Cream legbar that some are calling 'gold' - Then go to the S-locus and swiitch out the s+/s+ for S/S and you will get the cream legbar that some are calling 'true' because of genetics....but actually..... it's silver.

Go to the barring genetics B-locus and switch B/B to B^sd/B^sd and look at what happens. A female of this genetics has what is called ghost barring and it is very rare but the male appears WHITE SO if your female haS ghost barring -- perhaps that is the source of the white CLs- but I haven't heard of ghost barring so I doubt that it is....isn't that just fascinating?

ETA - GaryDean26 sent me this better/newer version of Henk's chicken calculator - you can enter Cr and O/O and ID for shank color etc.-- so it is a fuller picture of the chicken, however the PLUMAGE color doesn't vary because that isn't decided by the shank, crest and egg color genetics...BTW and if you click on the Punnett square thing etc. you can see how many chicks you need to hatch to get what you want, and the liklihood of that -- if, for example you have one that is crestless and you want to develop crests....

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingCQ.html?mgt=&fgt=&

Very interesting so according to this the Cream Legbars we have are actually closer to standard than the ones that are being put forward as correct?

Well....that is the debate. Until our Cream Legbars are breeding true for the cream gene we won't know the full range of color a genetically cream bird can have. It will be interesting to see what we can produce in the next few years.

Very interesting so according to this the Cream Legbars we have are actually closer to standard than the ones that are being put forward as correct?
I believe that is the case...certainly if you switch the chicken calculator between silver and gold as the basis - the gold basis which is supposed to be the make up of the CL -- is more like the appearance than the silver based one. (does that make sense?) ;O)

This is my trio of White Sports that I am hoping to breed next spring if they can make it through the winter.

This is my only boy. He is crested, single gene I suspect, and his comb is decent, straight blade but s curl in the front. But I'm not worried about his type at this point.

This is my oldest girl. She is about 20 weeks or so now. I'd have to check. She is double gene for crest.

This is my younger girl. Pretty but single gene for crest I think.

They all have nice yellow legs and tightly tucked wings and no one seems to have squirrel tail and that's pretty much the few things I'm looking at right now. I don't think the boy will size up until he's out of the bachelor pad but he seems good at this point. Would not matter anyway as he's all I got... they all are.

I put up new netting so hopefully this takes me off the Hawk Fast Food Drive Thru we have around here. I'm not breeding these to any standard this first time. Just seeing what is possible then I'll decide what I want to do if it looks like a viable endeavor.

I'm not sure what is meant by "the Cream Legbars we have are actually closer to standard than the ones that are being put forward as correct". Which birds in specific? I do think my birds are close to 'correct' for the color if not for a host of other aspects as they are a work in progress and no where close to being 'standard' in a lot of ways. And I do think it will be interesting to see what happens with the birds as we go forward and folks breed them for a few generations. My cream colored Cream Legbars have bred true for a cream colored hackle for 2 generations... these will be my F3s next year so I think I'll go by what I see in front of me as opposed to what I find on the internet. .

But getting back to the topic at hand...

I'm moving on to other aspects of the Creams so I'm hoping these sports will help me understand other type issues since color will not be an issue with them and just the form of the birds. I'm going to toss in a gold and cream bird into the mix also to see what happens. I think I know which female hen carries the recessive gene so I may test that also next year. It's nice to think that in a couple more generations I can call my flock my own and not Greenfire's. Hoping I have enough luck to get there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom