White spots on combs, some on feathers

JenJae

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2019
Austin, TX
Trying to identify if this is parasite related or fungus. These guys are all around 8months old. We've had some damp/wet weather over the last month or so. My polish? hybrid hen is starting to lose feathers on her crown, comb becoming exposed. It hasn't been a full crest from the get-go so I'm not positive if she's polish, I just know she had a tuft there that is starting to recede, and her back feathers are not looking so good this morning. (she's the black and white speckled girl. Her pic was taken a few days ago, the rest of the pics were taken this morning.) My frizzle (the black bantam) has more apparent white spots on her feathers. How do I treat this? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• blondie2.jpeg
    blondie2.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 35
  • blondie.jpg
    blondie.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 20
  • petunia.jpeg
    petunia.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 20
  • rooster c.jpeg
    rooster c.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 19
  • chickens with spots.jpg
    chickens with spots.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 190106_Chickens_2019_©2019_JJ_Stanley-9.jpg
    190106_Chickens_2019_©2019_JJ_Stanley-9.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Thanks! I may be a nervous novice but something seems out of the ordinary. They're preening and shaking their feathers out quite a bit more than usual. I can't get the speckled chick with the missing crest feathers, Joan Jett, to hold still for a picture today. Areas of her cone are also turning deep purple/black, along with losing the feathers. I don't think it's frostbite since we haven't had consistently cold days. We got down into the 30's but not freezing for several nights around the holidays but we've had 40's, 50's, and 60's the last week or so. They haven't been aggressive to each other, all seem to get along, so I don't think she's getting pecked at.

They may be finishing a molt, and you can see dandruff from new feather shafts coming in. The combs appear dry as they can do in winter. Be sure and look them over for mites and lice which, like growing new feathers, can make them itchy and shake their heads. Inspect their vent areas and around their necks where the 2 types of lice like to live.

I think your black and white speckled girl (last picture) has some rooster damage from being mounted. That would account for the damage to her head tuft (the roo's grab there to hang on) and her back feathers. She may be a favorite/more submissive and getting more attention.

I think your black and white speckled girl (last picture) has some rooster damage from being mounted. That would account for the damage to her head tuft (the roo's grab there to hang on) and her back feathers. She may be a favorite/more submissive and getting more attention.
I didn't consider this. I'll start paying closer attention. How would one go about stopping it, outside of separating our rooster? Put something unpalatable but non-toxic on her comb/tuft?

They may be finishing a molt, and you can see dandruff from new feather shafts coming in. The combs appear dry as they can do in winter. Be sure and look them over for mites and lice which, like growing new feathers, can make them itchy and shake their heads. Inspect their vent areas and around their necks where the 2 types of lice like to live.
Thanks. I'll give them a good once over for lice tomorrow morning. I didn't think it could be related to molt since they're only 8-mos old but I'm just going off of info from the net. You guys have way more hands on experience than I. Thanks for all of the help!

I didn't consider this. I'll start paying closer attention. How would one go about stopping it, outside of separating our rooster? Put something unpalatable but non-toxic on her comb/tuft?
The only way to stop your roosters from mating her/pulling out the feathers it to separate them. You can either take out the roosters or separate her.

Back
Top Bottom