White stuff coming from chickens eyes?

datchiikasam

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Well i got 2 hens and a rooster from the jockey lot about 3 weeks ago. there about 3 months old. well i love the rooster because he loves to jump on your lap and follow you around etc..well i walked out there today and he has a white liquid coming from his eyes and he can barely open his eyes. he also holds his head down while standing like hes sleeping. he also appears to be sneezing..i dont know anything about chickens. this is my first set of chickens. please help?

thank you, one more thing what type of vitamins and antibiotics and where would i get them at?

I would do a search using the search button in the blue bar and see what people say. It might be something that you can not treat with antibiotics their are a lot of things it could be I would rather find out and treat correctly they just give antibiotics and not know for sure.

Please see my blog post on infectious coryza. Even if this is not coryza (and you will know if there is an odor), the protocol I've set forth should successfully treat any respiratory infection (and a bunch of other illnesses as well) as long as it has not advanced too far.

earthmama24.blogspot.com/2011/03/natural-treatment-of-infectious-coryza.html

I would say the most important thing is to make sure he stays hydrated. If he is not eating, Ensure or Boost (or store brand) with a little molasses mixed in will give him enough to keep him alive while his body fights the infection. You can also give him Vitamin C and I have even crushed up a children's chewable vitamin and given them some in my homemade drench.

I would also advise adding grapefruit seed extract to their water on a daily basis to prevent future outbreaks.

Best wishes and here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

EarthMama24

Molasses is used as an internal flush for a chicken with food poisoning or an intestinal disease. I do not recommend molasses for a respiratory problem. I recommend you seperate the rooster from the hens. If this is a viral issue, antibiotics will be ineffective. If it's bacterial, you can buy tylan 50 injectable and administer it orally. Dosage is 3/4cc for large chickens...1/2cc for standard size chickens...1/4cc for bantams...once a day x 7 days. Tylan 50 can be found at any feed store.

When using molasses in the drench, I only use a small amount mixed with some almond milk or Ensure. I have used it when treating coryza and my chickens are all alive and well (except for the one who didn't get it.) When using grapefruit seed extract, you are going to be killing off the bad stuff, whether it be viral, bacterial, fungal, or parasitic and the body is going to expel this through the intestinal tract, so a little molasses could definitely be of benefit in helping flush out the toxins.

My input is strictly for those interested in natural remedies and my knowledge is based on experience, not expertise. If antibiotics are your thing, I strongly advise you go that route. The recovery of the chicken is the most important thing and you have to have confidence in the treatment method you choose.

EarthMama24

Back
Top Bottom