irishbelle5573

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2017
Mississippi
Hello! I'm fairly new to the backyard flock, having 10 hens, 3 Guineas, and 12 Muscovy ducks. Two of the chickens are Whiting True Blues that are approaching 30 weeks and have not started laying. Their clutch mates began laying at @ 24 weeks. Does anyone have any experience with them that they are willing to share? At what age did they begin laying? They free range every afternoon until dusk, are fed Nutrena All Flock (18% protein) with black oil sunflower seeds added, and are securely cooped with the rest from dusk until dawn. They are beautiful, but I'd like some eggs, too! :)

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Different genetics... just starting to lay/maturing later, completely normal especially this time of year with daylight diminishing. Even my same breeds can lay more than 1 month apart from each other.

You could also have a hidden nest?

BOSS is a nice TREAT. Should not be given at more than 10% total daily intake value. It is VERY high in fat. Or do you mean it's actually part of the formula?

How red are their combs looking? It's an indicator of hormones and maturity level.

Are you offering oyster shell free choice for you birds who are currently laying?

Hopefully you will get some eggs soon. :fl

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Different genetics... just starting to lay/maturing later, completely normal especially this time of year with daylight diminishing. Even my same breeds can lay more than 1 month apart from each other.

You could also have a hidden nest?

BOSS is a nice TREAT. Should not be given at more than 10% total daily intake value. It is VERY high in fat. Or do you mean it's actually part of the formula?

How red are their combs looking? It's an indicator of hormones and maturity level.

Are you offering oyster shell free choice for you birds who are currently laying?

Hopefully you will get some eggs soon. :fl

Thanks for your reply. We've searched for hidden eggs with no luck. I mix 2 cups of BOSS to 15 lbs. of layer feed which lasts almost 2 weeks, so I guess it's more at the "treat" level. The combs are red and healthy. The pictures I currently have are from September, so I will attempt to get some current ones if they will hold still long enough. They also get meal worms a few times a week as a treat. We are not using oyster shell, but have had no problems with weaker shells.

All the eggs I'm getting are from my Dominiques and Rhode Island Reds. Supposedly, all Whiting True Blues lay blue eggs. At 30 weeks they don't seem to be looking, or sounding, anything like Roos, although stranger things have happened. I bought them at 16 weeks as pullets.

We are not using oyster shell, but have had no problems with weaker shells.
This will become an issue unless your feed has at least 3 but more like 4% calcium. Thing is, the OS is absorbed into the keel bone where it is then redistributed to the shell gland. A hen and especially a young layer will sacrifice the calcium from her own bones. A soft shelled egg from a young pullet is more often than not just a hiccup of the reproductive system getting up and running ans working out the kinks and nothing to do with available calcium.

I think while you haven't found any hidden eggs they're laying somewhere other than the nest boxes (if they are indeed female). I have 5 WTBs. All 5 do lay blue eggs, but 3 do not like to use the nest boxes in their coop. They go elsewhere to lay - the hay storage, another coop, and one basement window well.

Pics would help...from Sept for gender and current pics for laying status.
Might check pelvic points for laying status.

You may have to confine them to coop and run to make a habit out of laying in coop nests.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom