Whizbang pluckers

HHandbasket

The Chickeneer
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
El Dorado County, California
We have not started doing meat chickens yet (will do them in the spring, I think), but if it goes well and we decide to keep raising meat birds, we were thinking it might be worth our while to look into getting one of those Whizbang chicken plucker things. I've watched some videos and they seem like a really good/efficient way to pluck a chicken.

Are they really all they're cracked up to be, and are they worth the prices I've seen for them? I've seen them as low as $600 on e-bay and as much as $3k.

I would like the pros/cons of those who have had experience using such a device.

Thanks in advance!

there are alot of chicken pluckers on the market, if you watch the u tube videos, most of those are homeade, i was under the impression that the whole concept behind the "wizbang" chicken plucker was do it urself? We plan on making one this winter after we aquire the parts. I have seen the book, How to build a wizbang chicken plucker, and i am sure we will aquire that as well. There is no way i would spend 600.00 much less 3k on a device to pluck chickens, not at least for personal use.

Quote:
depending on what access people have to the parts, plus considering how much your time is worth, for some people $600 may be the best they can do

if you can't find a lot of the parts used you will easily end up spending a few hundred bucks on the whizbang by the time it's all said and done

if you want a cheap plucker just make the drill attachment.

We always prefer to make anything ourselves if at all possible. My DH is very handy with building things and did say that he could build us one if he could find plans. We did find the rubber finger thingies on ebay. I'm definitely going to look into find a book about them.

Just wanted to get the thoughts of anyone that has tried/used one. Either, "Oh yeah, they're awesome" or "They're junk" or something along those lines.

Thanks, folks!

We didn't use the "Whizbang" one, but we did use one made from a washing machine and it worked really well. It was fast, did 2 large birds at a time, just put them in it after dipping, flipped the switch, and sprayed with water (just to wash the feathers down), and they were really really clean. I have heard they tend to make the meat tougher but I do not have any proof, as I was helping with other peoples birds as mine were done the old fashioned way at home. We were so impressed we will be building one, just need the fingers and a belt for the motor and we are good to go. Planned on posting pics of the process when we decide to get going on it.

Quote:
I recently made a Whizbang and yes they are all they are cracked up to be. I will be processing 8-10 birds shortly and can't wait to use it again.

Processed 70 birds today using the commercial version of the Whizbang, called a featherman. "Awesome" does not describe the utility of this equipment.

Back
Top Bottom