Whizbang pluckers

I built one.

Cost to build was $415

I had an aluminum drum and featherplate in mine.

They are ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.

2 birds in 10 - 20 seconds depending on your scalding expertise.

My parts kit should arrive in two days. I have already started waking up in the middle of the night with anticipation. With several modifications in mind, I can't wait to get started.

Mine is made form an old washing machine frame and a 55 gal barrel. I have about 200 bucks in it. The motor was from an auction.
It is not a fancy thing nor does it look as good as some I have scene, but it does the same job.

I am not saying anything negative to those who built the original. You can maximize the concept and minimize the price, if you scrounge around for some of the parts, and are willing to give up on the looks. IMO you must buy good picking fingers, but I do not think you need a 100 or 120. I have about 60 in my plucker.

It is well worth it if you are going to do any volume per year.

Last edited:
I bought the kit off Ebay without the motor. Went to price a 3/4 hp motor and almost had a heart attack! $339.00 at Harbor Freight.

Luckily, we are taking down an old dryer. I now have an old FIVE HP motor for my Whizbang! I think I could throw an ostrich in there and not bog it down, lol.

I've been thinking about building one of these, but I would like to know how it would do with quail?

On the authors web site he suggests using smaller fingers designed for quail so it won't damage the bodies (appereantly they are softer and smaller) but the chicken fingers can be used but it might not end with as good of results.

Does anyone one have the plans they would like to share. I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Since Herrick developed the Whizbang Plucker and sells the instruction book and parts, it would be poor etiquette to "share" them online.
http://www.whizbangbooks.com/ to read about them and order the book. It's not that expensive and all the tips included make it well worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom