Who’s My Mommy? The Sequel

He looks a lot like a splash, which wouldn’t be possible unless his father was blue or splash. Can you post pictures of the possible fathers?
None of my roosters are blue or splash. I have two blue hens but that’s it.
13B8933F-ACF9-4643-A825-77D012874274.jpeg
C3BD9717-B507-4342-B2FE-DCC17EDA49D2.jpeg

I also have a black no bow tie NN that I don’t have a pic of.
0A41DC38-96DE-4805-8888-9D247595FE31.jpeg

This is the silkie mix/Rhode Island Red cross

The chick does look to have a beard which makes me think the Olive Egger is the mother. I don't have a clue about fathers, but I would go with the Silkie x
I will say that the silkie mix/RIR cross has a confirmed baby and, like him, has the smallest amount of fluff on its legs and looks very similar to the mix when he was a chick. I mean genetics vary, but this seems like a large variance.
C62EB756-63CF-4B19-9574-E9E28D53B469.jpeg

This is the silkie mix/RIR as a day old
9F1CB4B7-5CBE-4CFC-857B-A305DCA343F7.jpeg

Confirmed offspring of said rooster.
I’m not sure. Bean, the rooster in question, has so many colors and patterns, I find it a little unlikely for him, even combined with a solid colored hen, to have a completely solid chick.

I will say that the silkie mix/RIR cross has a confirmed baby and, like him, has the smallest amount of fluff on its legs and looks very similar to the mix when he was a chick. I mean genetics vary, but this seems like a large variance.
View attachment 2611640
This is the silkie mix/RIR as a day old
View attachment 2611635
Confirmed offspring of said rooster.
I’m not sure. Bean, the rooster in question, has so many colors and patterns, I find it a little unlikely for him, even combined with a solid colored hen, to have a completely solid chick.
It’s not impossible. Black (and its dilution, blue) is a very dominant color. Your mixed rooster has a messy columbian color with a lot of leakage. I’d expect his offspring with a solid black/blue hen to be black/blue with leakage. Keep in mind that your chick is still young, so the leakage could come in later.

It’s not impossible. Black (and its dilution, blue) is a very dominant color. Your mixed rooster has a messy columbian color with a lot of leakage. I’d expect his offspring with a solid black/blue hen to be black/blue with leakage. Keep in mind that your chick is still young, so the leakage could come in later.
Yes he is very messy. He is the epitome of a mixed breed :/. I do have several black hens as well as my two blues. I love when chicks change with age :) it’s like a continuous surprise.

Looks more lavender to me than blue.. and though that seems unlikely given that you have no visually lavender birds.. remember lavender can pass unseen as a single gene so it's definitely possible that some of your mixed heritage birds have a sneaky gene in there - and the probability gods decided they should merge together for this chick.

It's as plausible as every other theory above :p

We’re back and Pickle is rocking out at five and a half weeks old. He’s also very obviously a HE. Is that a thing that home bred chicks tend to rooster up quick? Because almost all of mine have. He has a nice little poof on his head now which is interesting. I think this means that, combined with his color, the olive egger is the mum. Thoughts?
7556D9DE-F638-467B-AAEE-1A7977EE0042.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom