Who’s My Mommy? The Sequel

We’re back and Pickle is rocking out at five and a half weeks old. He’s also very obviously a HE. Is that a thing that home bred chicks tend to rooster up quick? Because almost all of mine have. He has a nice little poof on his head now which is interesting. I think this means that, combined with his color, the olive egger is the mum. Thoughts?
View attachment 2635213
Yeah, one of his parents has to have a crest for him to have one. I’m still not seeing lavender. His coloration instantly makes me think of splash, but I know that shouldn’t be possible. I have seen some very light blues though.

We’re back and Pickle is rocking out at five and a half weeks old. He’s also very obviously a HE. Is that a thing that home bred chicks tend to rooster up quick? Because almost all of mine have. He has a nice little poof on his head now which is interesting. I think this means that, combined with his color, the olive egger is the mum. Thoughts?
View attachment 2635213
Cute wee boy!
Looks lavender to me and yes that little crest should narrow things down a bit for the parentage.
Didn't you say in an earlier post on this thread that he hatched from a light brown egg? Does your Olive Egger hen lay brown eggs??

Yeah, one of his parents has to have a crest for him to have one. I’m still not seeing lavender. His coloration instantly makes me think of splash, but I know that shouldn’t be possible. I have seen some very light blues though.
The silkie/RIR also has a bit of a poof. Could this coloring could’ve come from a silkie gene?

The silkie/RIR also has a bit of a poof. Could this coloring could’ve come from a silkie gene?
Blue/splash isn’t recessive, so if it isn’t there, it isn’t there. Though silkies of different varieties are often mixed together, so having some silkie in his background makes the chance of having a recessive lavender gene a bit more likely.

If he were blue, albeit a very light one, I'd expect (as a rooster) you'd start to see the development of darker feathers in the hackle and saddle areas. His uniformity of colour does not speak blue to me.. hence my leaning towards lavendar (as unlikely as that seems lol)

If he were blue, albeit a very light one, I'd expect (as a rooster) you'd start to see the development of darker feathers in the neck and hackle areas. Hi uniformity of colour does not speak blue to me.. hence my leaning towards lavendar (as unlikely as that seems lol)
That color difference wouldn’t come in until he’s gotten his make specific feathering, which hasn’t happened yet.

That color difference wouldn’t come in until he’s gotten his make specific feathering, which hasn’t happened yet.
Usually yes.. however all my blues (pullets and cockerels alike) had definite variation their colouring WELL before their first moults.
So yeah.. when considering how a young blue looks vs how a young lavendar looks, lavender is still my pick.
Looking forward to seeing a pic in a few months time tho to see how he changes!

Edited to add: The crest is the most telling and reliable method for narrowing down parentage at this stage.

004B0404-444F-4767-861D-FE31DE6D4414.jpeg
85699448-1396-477F-BC2D-E6D4F895D716.jpeg

At eight weeks I’ve noticed some darkening feathers around his face and back. Ideas? Also he has bushy eyebrows now.

Back
Top Bottom