Who else got some 2013 chicks?!

My three had a big field trip yesterday to the backyard for the first time.  They were a bit nervous at first.  They barely ate any grass, mostly just looked around.  As you can see, we've hit the ugly stage!  5 weeks old

Nice! My girls are getting big too, 4 1/2 weeks right now. I'm thinking of moving them out to their coop with 2 heat lamps set up. What do you think? It's around 32 every night here in Rhode Island, but with the heat lamps I'm thinking they should be ok?

We just got ours 2 weeks ago we are new to this as well but I can tell ya so far its been a BLAST...our little girls like sitting in the wifes hand in the brooder, although I am afraid to say I think we may have a rooster amoungst the group ..trying to figure out how to take pics and post them with our old equipment....

Ray

Took a few more picks. Can't believe how much they grew and feathered this week.

First ones taking a nap on the new roost 2 days ago. second two are about 30 minutes after I switched out their water for the nipple jug. At first they were like what is that and when are you bringing our water back? once the bold one finally got up the courage to check it out the rest swarmed in like locust.

I did! Just got mine today! I really wanted a EE but the little feed store only orders 25, well this lady ordered her own and then! BOUGHT all of the EE's in the feed store!
ep.gif
she left with 40 birds! All before i was able to get there!
hit.gif

But i still got my three (Going back next week when they get their dotties in)

This is Primrose Fuzzy Butt BO
This is Rue Fuzzy Butt BlkAust.
Ans this is No Name Fuzzy Butt, you all can help if you like. I want Hunger Game them names though lol BlkAust.

(They are all posing on eggs i gathered this morning haha! Freshly hatched chicks! Who wants?!)

Took a few more picks. Can't believe how much they grew and feathered this week. First ones taking a nap on the new roost 2 days ago. second two are about 30 minutes after I switched out their water for the nipple jug. At first they were like what is that and when are you bringing our water back? once the bold one finally got up the courage to check it out the rest swarmed in like locust.
I like your watering system, is it just a bottle with a nipple attachment? Homemade or store bought? :)

Home made. The nipples just got here from china last night and I spent 10 minutes putting it together this morning. It was 20 nipples for 10 bucks on ebay. I plan on making some with a 5 gal bucket when they get bigger. I saw a few people used them so I wanted to try. Yea no more poo water. Like I said they were drinking from it within 30 minutes and have been going to it ever since. Just make sure you have a hole to let air above the water line to prevent a vacuum. I have 2 on either side that I put a coat hanger in to hang it.

We got our first 12 baby fuzzbutts three weeks ago!
wee.gif
So far all are doing good. And even though they haven't feathered completely yet, I've already named one. Her name is Trouble. Any guesses why? lol No? None? Really?
hu.gif
Well I'll tell you then...she has learned a new trick....she likes to flap her little fuzzybutted body RIGHT up to the top of the food/water containers.
barnie.gif
Do you know how I found out about her new trick? When I heard a little bit of rustling, followed shortly by one pretty pathetic chirping frenzy coming from my office where they are currently housed. lol

She had flown the coop and was standing in the middle of the wood floor looking up at me like...
idunno.gif
So I've moved the feeders to the farthest side of the pen, underneath the portion that we have the light hanging from.

This is the little troublemaker before I moved the feeders.

And where the chicks are all back in that corner is where I've now moved the feeders (and yes...there's pine shavings over the entire floor now too. :)) And there are now two levels all the way around the cage, but thinking I will be adding a third soon. lol

Home made. The nipples just got here from china last night and I spent 10 minutes putting it together this morning. It was 20 nipples for 10 bucks on ebay. I plan on making some with a 5 gal bucket when they get bigger. I saw a few people used them so I wanted to try. Yea no more poo water. Like I said they were drinking from it within 30 minutes and have been going to it ever since. Just make sure you have a hole to let air above the water line to prevent a vacuum. I have 2 on either side that I put a coat hanger in to hang it.
Love the nipple waterers!! Especially for the chicks. I used them for the first time on my chicks this year because we switched the big girls over to them recently and had a few extras. I can't recommend them enough. No more cleaning out the water 5 times a day!

Back
Top Bottom