Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Dont take my word for it, I just have one friend who said his cuckoo eggs aren't as dark as his BCs but that could depend on the hen, so that's all I'm going on.

I have 8 GC's and theirs vary greatly. I actually have one laying pretty dark color, like a 4-5 on the marans scale, but others are much lighter. Makes for a pretty carton though. :)

Penny, my Easter egger showing signs, finally laid! A pretty green/blue egg.

yeah I should have just ordered some black coppers instead of buying the cuckoos locally. Still love my girls and am glad they are finally laying but I now know better for the next time I add more babies to my flock.
I'm feeling the same. I ordered mine, 1 Splash, 1 White 1 Cuckoo, thought they all laid big dark brown eggs. Like them alot. Cuckoo is CRAZY! Such a funny entertaining hen. The other 2, meh...not feelin it. We'll see right?

I'm not sure if I should be excited or madder than a wet hen. As of this afternoon I have all four of my older girls laying, both of my cuckoo marans started laying today but their eggs are no darker than my silver laced Wyandottes. The cuckoo marans I gave away two months ago lay dark brown eggs but the eggs I got from the two I kept are in no way dark brown. Anybody know if the shade will get darker as they lay more? Both eggs have dark brown specks on them but are a light brown:(

I have a Black Copper Maran and a Splash Maran (amongst many others)...my BCM lays a medium brown egg with dark speckles and my Splash lays a very dark, almost chocolate, beautiful brown egg. The Welsummer I own lays a darker brown egg than my BCW so I guess it's down to the individual hen...they all taste yummy though!

My girls free range but the bulk of their food is an all purpose feed( bought the wrong stuff) but when I looked at the percentages of the feed it matched that of layer. The feed was made locally. The only one I'm concerned about is Alice because she looks to be ready. The others are just now growing a comb....

I had a EE that looked ready and was squatting for 21 days before she laid an egg. After about 2 weeks I was freaking out. After 20 days I started researching barron hens and came to terms she might never lay an egg... then the very next day she laid an egg. Chickens work at their own pace. As long as she's eating and drinking and moving around good I wouldn't worry.

[/IMG]
One of the girls left me this today. I am presuming it is a new layer since it wasn't in a nesting box. One side of the egg was flat. Pretty bizarre looking.

I'm not sure if I should be excited or madder than a wet hen. As of this afternoon I have all four of my older girls laying, both of my cuckoo marans started laying today but their eggs are no darker than my silver laced Wyandottes. The cuckoo marans I gave away two months ago lay dark brown eggs but the eggs I got from the two I kept are in no way dark brown. Anybody know if the shade will get darker as they lay more? Both eggs have dark brown specks on them but are a light brown:(
I feel your pain. I thought I was going to have a nice colorful egg basket. Instead, I have a CM whose eggs are even lighter than the ones yours are laying, and a Cream Legbar who is nearly a year old and has not even laid one egg. Oh, well, you get what you get I guess. I love them anyway. At least my EE gives me pretty lightly colored eggs.

Back
Top Bottom