Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Our last first egg from Penelope. All our hens are laying now

We got our first triple header today. That makes three hens now laying with 4 more to go. Probably two Buff O's and two Welsummers. Then it will be 5 more weeks or more until the youngest start to lay. For now we are enjoying our 'mini' egg breakfasts!

I have 2 buff orph 2 americannas,2 barred rocks i bought in april as day old chicks i jave2bramahs i bought 4 wks ago they 5wks old & i have 2rir i bought 3wks ago that wre 4mnths old when can i expect my first eggs

I was out tonight again with my hens.... I noticed that many are getting red heads and waddles... their combs are growing very slowly....they are 17 weeks and 14 weeks old..... all are Australorps... I'm wondering about what age will they start laying? I've ordered the front roll laying boxes from Cutler Supply.... I'm getting concerned that I've waited too long to order... What do you think?
Since we have installed the automatic door on the hen house, a couple of them have been left out after it closes..I have had to pick them up and put them in on the roosts... so I've started a routine, about 8pm I go out and call them, they come running and then I give them some scratch....I sit there and watch them eat it,then I put some in the run, they all go in then I shut the door, I think they all make it in.... Tonight they were all hiding in the corner of the house and the sun room... I'm wondering if I didn't go out,would then hey have stayed out all night?

My hens are 17 weeks. When do you give them access to the nest boxes? Is it a good idea to use a different material in the nest boxes? Thanks. First time chicken owner.

17-18 wks is good time to give them access to the nest, unless you want to wait until you see eggs on the floor. At that age their wattle and combs should be getting redder and they start squatting when you approach them.

I have hen's that layed eggs @17 -18, I also have some hen's that are almost 20 wks right now and nothing. Last year (my first time with chicken) by 22 wks they were all laying. Sure was exciting, we still jump up and down seeing first time layers, I got 8 pullets am waiting to lay and they are almost 20 wks.

First timer here.... it's been 17 weeks since I brought the babies home from the feedstore-- but some were already a week or more when I bought them. This weekend, one of the pullets crowed. (I've suspected Zena since 3 weeks so not shocked.) The three oldest hens have red combs, and two of those three will squat for Zena. This makes me think eggs are in my near future? How soon should they lay?

The oldest are Cream Legbars, the next oldest are Ameraucanas (or probably EE's) and the youngest two are RIR and Sicilian Buttercup-- in case their breed makes a difference.

My girls are all about 25 weeks and only 1 of them is laying - my golden comet Lucy, my other GC, my RIR and my Columbian have been squatting for weeks now and all have giant red combs and wattles and even my 2 buff brahmas are getting red and 1 is squatting but so far no one else seems to be in any hurry.
barnie.gif

Very hot here in Southeast TX as well. I read that you can freeze a milk jug of water and put it out there and they will huddle around it to stay cool. I just emptied a milk jug and have it freezing... Our coop is raised and our hens get underneath it to be shaded. I was thinking of putting it under there and see if it helps. Ours don't seem to be suffering or show signs of overheating but I wouldn't be surprised if they put off starting to lay until this heat let'up.
Howdy! Sorry, I just saw this post. Freezing jugs works GREAT! It was 109 here yesterday, way over 100 for 2 weeks. I freeze the jugs and lots of little water bottles to put all over the floor of the pen. They sit on them and lay next to them. Just the cool air coming off of them really cools it down. I freeze blocks for them too, and put a small frozen bottle in the waterer. Hope it cools off for ya'll!

This is Rooster Cogburn, he acts like he is laying the eggs. He is so funny. Have 4 of 8 laying now, can't wait for them all to start.

Back
Top Bottom