Who else is waiting the impossible wait?

congrats on the eggs i an still waiting on my first egg 9 of my girls will be 22 weeks old on sunday they are squating and submitting to the roo and red in the face so hopefully soon. Exactly how red will the get when they start to lay will they be as red as my roo

The Dominique that I think is one of the layers is almost as red on her comb as the roo's wattles. Can't really see much comb, as he is WC Polish and the 'do hides the comb! LOL But, yeah, she is pretty bright red.

Congratulations, Mak!
smile.png

Does anyone have pullets who are laying at night? Three nights in a row, the leghorn has laid at night, up on the roost. The egg crashes down on the poop board and breaks.
roll.png
I hope she gets back on schedule soon.

3 of 16 now laying!
Robin

One more egg this morning. It was Lily, one of the Red Stars. I know, because I was out in the coop when she laid it! The three are being cooked up by hubby now. MMMMMMM!

A question, tho- Anyone have any suggestions for getting them to use the nest boxes? Yesterday and today, they layed on the coop floor in the back corner. They seem to like the shredded paper there for making nests. I put some paper in the nest boxes and there are golf balls in there. Anything else I can do? I'm just afraid if they stay on the floor, they will get stepped on and broken, or one of them may decide to try eating one.

We adopted two bantam hens a few weeks ago from a friend who was getting out of chickens... the cochin was laying before we brought them home but NOTHING since she's been here! We also have 8 'big girls' (2 each EE, Light Brahma, BR and BO) who are about 11 weeks old, so don't expect anything from them until about December. Currently we have the bantys set up in their own mini coop (the big girls brooder)w/their own run and are gradually introducing them before we put them all together in the big coop. I keep asking if they've left me a present every day when I get home from work and so far no presents.
barnie.gif

Quote:
My girls didn't like the golf balls. I went to the feed store and bought fake wooden eggs and put them in the nesting boxes. I only have 1 laying so far, (a leghorn named Felipa), and she has created a nest, moved the 2 fake eggs into 1 nest (I had 2 nests up there, but of course, she rearranged it all to her liking), and she lays her egg every morning between 9 and noon right next to the 2 fake eggs. She has been laying for 2 weeks now, and aside from the initial egg poops the first day and 1 soft-shelled egg last week, she has become a consistent laying machine & her eggs are uber-yummy! Now I just wish the rest of her flockmates would get the idea. They're about 24 weeks and haven't even started to develop combs and wattles yet & their faces are still only light pink. I am concerned I won't have eggs from anyone but Felipa before winter comes.
sad.png

my wait is over and i finally get to graduate from this thread i came home today and got a nice surprise i look everyday when i get home and today i looked and found a really cute little egg laying on the ground near the roosts. Hear is a picture of my very first egg i was so excited i was jumping ans screaming .

60848_100_5638.jpg

60848_100_5637.jpg

Quote:
Aww, that's a nice fist egg..I'm afraid I'm going to do the same thing...jump up and down and yelling about it, and my chickens will be thinking... gee, you would think "she" laid it. I know I'm going to be excited.

Back
Top Bottom